Divergent series wraps up with final installment

On October 22, Veronica Roth’s third and final book to her best-selling series Divergent finally came out. It is called Allegiant, and fans are power hungry for more action and romance. But what if the last book doesn’t satisfy the reader’s expectations? Just like The Hunger Games, the second novel left readers with unanswered questions and with high hopes that the author would not disappoint as she wrapped up the trilogy.

In Allegiant, main characters Tris and her boyfriend, Tobias switch back and forth points of view between chapters, letting the readers get inside Tobias’s head for the first time in the third book. When they get the chance to leave the faction’s society, Tris and her friends are set to find a new place to live and to maybe get some answers on what it means to be Divergent. But what if leaving the factions turns out to be worse? Staying inside the factions was dangerous, but that doesn’t mean where she’s staying is any safer. Filled with love, sacrifice, courage, and danger, Tris and Tobias need to make choices to save the factions, factionless, and the Divergent. But trying to save everyone has its consequences. This is a war, and a war always ends up with casualties.

The first novel Divergent and the second novel Insurgent reveal the lies in the five faction community: Candor the honest, Erudite the intelligent, Dauntless the brave, Abnegation the selfless, and Amity the peaceful. No one questions the faction’s order and how it runs, but Tris eventually does, and that leads her to a dangerous reality. The closer Tris gets to the truth, the faster she becomes a target. Allegiant is the behind the scenes of how the factions first began and how it shapes the characters in the dystopian world.

Diehard fan Sam Parisi, a senior at Main South High School, has high expectations for the last book.

She said, “I hope that Allegiant is as action packed as Divergent and that there are no loose ends left up to the readers imagination. I want the main conflict to be resolved in a reasonable and possible way, unlike Twilight. I also don’t want Veronica Roth to kill off the rest of my favorite characters.”

Then there are some readers like a junior, Shannon Brooks who isn’t expecting as great an outcome in the third novel. “Honestly, since the second book was only okay, I’m expecting the third to be the same if not worse,” Brooks said. “I thought the plot in the second novel was slow moving and the dialogue flat at times.”

Laura Brubaker, a junior, reviewed Allegiant as the worst book out of the trilogy. She said, “It felt rushed. My expectations were moderately high, but from my experiences from the past two books, I knew that the third book would be mostly action and dialogue. In essence, I read this book for the concept and plot, not the writing style.”

In my opinion, I was fairly disappointed in Veronica Roth on how she set up the conflict, and what the characters need to do to solve the problem. The plot was slow moving, and it didn’t satisfy my imagination on how I thought the ending was going to be. I wanted the author to finish the powerful world of Divergent in a resolved way, but I just felt empty inside.

So is it even worth reading it? The third novel has the same qualities as the first and second: romance, violence, and survival of the fittest. If the author can’t live up to the fan’s standards, then how should readers view her?