“American Hustle” is definitely not a Canadian Boogie

David O. Russell’s vibrant new film, American Hustle, ended 2013 with a bang, shining as one of the year’s best. Based on the Abscam Scandal of the early 1970s and 80s, the story follows two cunning con artists from Long Island who form an unlikely alliance with an FBI agent. The three work together to catch corrupted political figures. With rave reviews from movie goers and a thumbs up by most critics, this brilliant dramedy has sparked Oscar buzz for the film and its cast members.

As powerful as Russell’s recent “Silver Linings Playbook” and “The Fighter,” “American Hustle” manages to reel you in with the help of the phenomenally star studded cast, including Amy Adams, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Robert De Niro, Louis C.K, and Jennifer Lawrence. Each actor shines and adds something unique to their colorful and ambitious characters. This combination of spectacular acting and the outlandish 70s outfits and large hairstyles capture the essence of the characters Russell is trying to convey.

Christian Bale’s role is a complete contrast to that of his last role “The Fighter.” Here, he has morphed into the sleazy hustler Irving Rosenfeld who sells forged art and fake loans. He meets the ambitious Sydney Prosser (Adams) who impersonates a well-connected British woman named Edith. Shortly after meeting, the two fall in love. After FBI agent Ritchie Dimasio (Cooper) captures the two lovers, Rosenfeld attempts to bring down politicians suspected of corruption, such as Carmine Polito (Renner) a mayor in Jersey, in exchange for their release.

Though the film is very comical at times, there are many moments of suspense. As part of their scheme, the con artists use an accomplice who pretends to be an Arabic sheikh interested in investing with Polito. During an encounter with a powerful Mafia leader, Victor Tellegio (De Niro) tests the legitimacy of the sheikh by speaking to him in Arabic. The moments following are some of the most suspenseful in the entire movie and put you on the edge of your seat as you wait for a response from the fake sheikh.

The breakaway star in this movie is undoubtedly Jennifer Lawrence in her role as Rosenfeld’s outspoken and colorful wife, Rosalyn. Best known for her role as the adventurous and witty Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games series, Lawrence transforms into a typical Long Island housewife from the 70s. Her unpredictability and flawless Long Island accent truly makes her the perfect fit for this role. Though her loud and attention grabbing attitude almost blows the entire operation, Rosalyn’s hilarious personality adds life to the story. Just as the real world cannot get enough of Jennifer Lawrence, the film could not get enough of Rosalyn. As the most interesting character in the film, she should have gotten more screen time to help enliven parts of the film that fell flat.

At times its structure is confusing, with continual flashbacks to events before the beginning of the movie, such as the meeting of Rosenfeld and Prosser. The love triangle between Rosenfeld, Roselyn and Prosser also becomes difficult to follow. At times the film drags and lacks any sort of development, making it seem much too long. However, the brilliant acting, perfect costumes and set design perfectly capture the era.

Many predict multiple Oscars for the film and its cast. Some predicted Amy Adams has a chance of receiving a nomination for best actress, Bradley Cooper for best supporting actor, Jennifer Lawrence for best supporting actress, David O. Russell for best director and along with writer Eric Singer for original screenplay, and many more for best costume design, film editing, and makeup and hairstyling. Still, the film is up against potentially stiff competition, facing “12 Years aa Slave” and “Gravity” for best picture.