Day trip destinations for stay-at-homers

Instead of sitting around all day, jealously watching your friends post pictures from their vacations to Colorado and Mexico on Instagram, grab another friend and go on a one day excursion. There are so many random things to do within a couple hours of Chicago, and it’s sure to pass the time much more enjoyably.
One idea is to drive to Amish Country in Northern Indiana. It is a group of seven Amish communities and is only a two and a half hour drive from Winnetka. The trip is well worth it to visit Das Dutchman Essenhaus, Indiana’s largest restaurant, seating 1,100 people, and serving 31 different types of pies. While there, you can go wandering through flea markets and visit the RV Hall of Fame!
Chances are, you’ve heard of Rockford. Its about an hour and a half west of the North Shore, and is usually a place that people hate going to and love leaving. However, there are some interesting things to do there. First off, there’s the Anderson Japanese Gardens, which are pretty cool. It’s 12-acres and you can walk around, look at sculptures, and, depending on what day you go, perform Tai Chi (similar to yoga) or Bunjikan (a form of martial arts). Also, on March 28, it’s the Rockford Public Library Saturday Spectacular: Pizza and Pasta Stories. You can go and listen to your favorite stories, songs, and poems about Italian food and do fake pizza crafts. While it may not beat tanning in Mexico it’s something you can do to pass the time on a cloudy afternoon.
Another more adventurous option is visiting Galena. It’s three hours west of Chicago, at the corner of the Illinois- Wisconsin- Iowa border. Though it’s far away, its a historic town with lots of forest reserves around it. This is a great place to go hiking, kayaking, canoeing, or fishing. There is also the popular Shenandoah Riding Center, if you want to go for a horse ride through the area. In the downtown area, there are lots of boutique shops, antique stores, and there’s even an old fashioned ice cream parlor.
Another option is to go to the outlet malls in the area. There’s a Pleasant Prairie outlet, close to the Illinois border in Wisconsin, or Gurnee Mills. They are both great options if you want to stock up on clothing for summer without spending too much.
Finally, you can go on a Wisconsin cheese tour. Driving north towards Milwaukee, it’s hard to miss all the different cheese stores that you pass on the side of the road. Usually, the cheese is made on site, so you can take tours and taste samples of the different types of freshly made cheeses. Google “Wisconsin cheese stores” for a list of stores, phone numbers, addresses, and hours. Just call ahead to make sure they’re open on the day you’re planning to go.
While none of these options can compare to skiing in Colorado or swimming in Florida, they might make your spring break a bit more exciting than sitting around at home watching everyone update their Snapchat stories.