Sennett sticking it to the competition

Varsity junior leads the way on three playing fields

Bella Geroulis, Opinions Editor

Sitting down with junior Isabelle Sennett, one would never guess that she is a three sport varsity athlete. Her laidback and modest attitude is everything you would expect from a 17-year-old girl, but her track record is anything but ordinary. 

Where Sennett differs from others is that she has been playing varsity sports since her freshman year.

Her ice hockey career began in fourth grade, and through the years she has added field hockey and lacrosse to her repertoire. A New Trier varsity player for all three, Sennett has still maintained reputable grades and a regular social life. However, with so many different elements constantly going on in her life, it begs the question of how she balances it all.

Sennett says, “I don’t have as much free time as I would like, but I’m happy.” With her passion for lacrosse, it’s no surprise that she made varsity as a freshman, and she continues to act as a leader on the team. Her teammates have nothing but good things to say about her.

“Isabelle is always there no matter what. She’s always supporting everyone and makes the team really fun,” junior teammate Liza Henderson said. She helped to lead the girls field hockey team to their state championship two years in a row and was one of the select few underclassmen to join the girls varsity ice hockey team.

Off the field, she has maintained exemplary grades and continues to flourish in all aspects of New Trier.

Finding time in between all of her extracurriculars is hard, but Sennett says, “I use all of my free periods and spend about two hours on homework at night.” She (not surprisingly) later added that she gets little to no sleep at night. Outside of the classroom, though, Sennett has no problem finding free time to relax and hang out with friends.

Although Sennett doesn’t know where she wants to go to college, she hopes to pursue lacrosse after high school.

Sennett and her peers say that the main reason she’s able to manage everything on her plate is because of her positive attitude and her levelheaded mentality.

Classmates, teammates, and her friends all agree that Sennett is a natural born leader who continues to excel both on and off the field.