Co-heads elaborate on LP process

“Organization is half the battle. As co-heads, we oversee everything, so we have to constantly juggle all of the moving pieces of the production,” said senior Emma Wold, this year’s Lagniappe-Potpourri co-head. Wold and her partner Leah Neustadt have been working tirelessly to see “Spoiler Alert” hit the stage without a hitch.
“Spoiler Alert” production features two mixed numbers that were created by a collaboration with the music staff, a unique quality of this year’s show. Traditionally the numbers are one girls’ and one boys’ number, however this year Neustadt and Wold have worked to open the lines of communication and create a co-ed number. “Without those restrictions, we were able to create a few pieces that are unlike anything the show has seen in a while,” said Wold, of the mixed numbers and videos, unique to this year’s show.
Aside from that, the co-heads are also in charge of organizing the cast’s schedule and social events. “We’ve also resurrected the company picnic, which was a really great way for the company to get to know each other,” said Neustadt of the cast’s bonding. However as the weeks go by, their jobs go from organization to anything that needs to be done. “As the show progresses, in general we make sure that everyone is working well together and doing their individual jobs. The later the show gets, the more our jobs become doing simply whatever is needed, whether that be hanging posters or helping out the costumers,” said Neustadt. Both Wold and Neustadt have been helping out in any way, no matter how small, to make sure this show is a success.
Together Neustadt and Wold represent the basics of New Trier Theater. With Neustadt, a stage crew member working on several of New Trier’s productions, and Wold, a performer featured in several of New Trier’s productions, their leadership ranges to every aspect of the show. All of the costumes, lights, acting, dance numbers, and cues are looked and made to be spectacular. Between the two of them, every angle of the show is taken into consideration and everything, down to the smallest detail, is fixed to perfection.
However, Wold and Neustadt see their job in less of a creative light and in more of a facilitative light. “Co-heads need to be able to be the voice of reason. Leah and I both think fairly systematically, and we’re almost always on the same page, and when we’re not, the systems of communication we’ve developed allow us to find the disparity and get the job done,” said Wold.
Both admit that a larger part of their job is to referee the different groups within the Lagniappe cast and crew. They sit in on auditions, rehearsals, writing sessions and crew work sessions.