School board debates student fees

How does one quantify the value of technology? Or Student Alliance? Science lab supplies? It sounds weird to consider, but our student fees bill accounts for each of these expenses. The school assigns seemingly arbitrary amounts of money for each of these amenities. As a result, the school board has undergone an inquiry into a new approach to student fees.

To account for the array of activities, clubs and courses offered at New Trier, each student is charged a base fee of $90, and the average charge is close to $300. This allows for free towel service in the locker rooms, free admission to football games, Trevia, this newspaper (colored ink and all) printed weekly, and a multitude of other things mostly unnoticed.

The fee fluctuates depending on each individual student’s course load; for instance, ceramics, painting and drawing, glass art, driver’s education, photography, music ensembles, and marine biology all require an additional fee. This is why student fees are controversial. In fact, a recent Board of Education meeting addressed the issue.

Last spring, Board member John Myefski brought up the dilemma of the exceedingly expensive cost of textbooks and if New Trier could adapt a loan system like other high schools. This sparked conversation last Monday regarding student fees.

Myefski serves on a Finance Committee along with superintendent Linda Yonke and board president Al Delinko. The board eventually decided to hold a workshop later in December to the debate cost-analysis reports of how athletic and activity fees that fall under student fees could change and its impact on the school budget and each New Trier family.

Principal Tim Dohrer explained his philosophy: “I think the primary goal of a public school should be to fund a basic education. When we try to reach beyond the standard, student fees come into play.”

This relates to what the student fees actually pay for. As listed above, the student fees seem more about the extras than core curriculum. The Board of Education’s December workshop will determine what student fees actually encompass, and which of these expenses are essential versus nonessential.

“Families, with or without students at New Trier, pay property taxes contributing to the high school’s funding as being part of the district,” said Dohrer. He continued, “It’s a matter of whether we want to dilute costs over a larger population in the form of slightly higher taxation, or make families with students attending pay a higher student fee.”

Although most board decision affect students in some tangible aspect, they often go unnoticed as they usually impact parents more.

Student opinion on the student fees issue wasn’t very strong, or present to begin with. Senior Jake Abt said, “I didn’t even know I paid student fees. That stuff goes all to my parents so I don’t really care.” This ignorant apathy has often resulted in parents paying more in student fees.

Leif Gamrath, a senior advisor, said, “I pass around a sheet each year where students check off if they want to purchase the various New Trier publications like Trevia and Calliope. I’ve gotten a few calls from disconcerted parents asking why their student fees bill is so hiked up.”

However, some students have taken a more serious look at how their class choice can impact their parent’s checking acount balance. Senior Sean Guthrie commented, “I wanted to take Photography 2 this year, but knew it was really expensive. There are a lot of tagged fees for camera equipment and photo paper. Unfortunately, I ended up dropping the class.”

With these issues in mind, the board aims to scrutinize the student fees bill and how sports and activities weigh in, or if they should at all.

This discussion will take place Dec. 3 at the Northfield Campus in C-234. Students are encouraged to attend.