Triship Christmas trees worth the trip for families

The smell of pine, the cold nipping at your fingers and toes, the rosy cheeks and holiday cheer light up New Trier from Nov 19., to Dec. 20.

Santa’s Triship elves are selling Christmas trees every day of the week to families across the North Shore.

Part of the holiday is about giving, which is what Triship tries to focus on, according to Zack Struckman, a junior at New Trier who is one of the members working the tree sale.

Struckman said that all proceeds go towards New Trier Student scholarships, and that this sale is the group’s most important fundraiser of the year.

“We’re on track to sell all of the trees we have like last year. This fundraiser has always been immensely successful and we’re trying to keep up that tradition,” he said

Struckman, along with the other members will work an hour and a half to two hour shifts throughout the month to accomplish their goal for this year’s sale.

“All the guys understand how important this sale is and as a result, we know we need to work hard. Honestly though, all the guys can probably agree the tree sale is the best part of Triship,” he said.

With attitudes like Struckman’s, it is no surprise that many New Trier families buy from Triship. However it isn’t only NT families, according to Struckman. Plenty of Loyola, North Shore Country Day, and other school families come to buy the trees. Looks like some Christmas cheer can raise money and soften rivalries.

Some families, like Haley Czuma’s, a junior at New Trier, keep coming back to the Triship sale every year, “We choose to buy from Triship because my parents like to help out the cause and everyone’s always really sweet.”

Czuma praised the service of the boys. “It was super efficient. We had a super sweet kid help us out and we were in and out within 15 minutes.”

The speedy work is only one of the reasons that her family keeps returning to buy their tree, according to Czuma. She also believes that the prices are fair and not too expensive, even though they are doing this to raise money. Czuma recommends that other families purchase their Christmas trees from the Triship sale because they’ll get a good tree for the right price, it will be a short trip, and the service is done with a smile.

Another interesting aspect of the sale, Struckman believes, is that the majority of the fundraiser is run by the students, “There isn’t really a whole lot of supervision out on the lot. We’re given a lot of independence and autonomy when working.”

However, sponsors Scott Fricke, Kevin Hendren, and Michael Grady all handle the money. Myles Whitebloom is the Triship sponsor at the West campus, where freshmen are encouraged to participate in the sale and come over to help out the other members.

Struckman stressed just how important this sale is to the club, “This is by far our biggest fundraiser. This is our main event.”

Anyone can stop by to get one from 3:30 to 7:00 on weekdays, 9:00 to 5:00 on Saturdays, and 11:00 to 4:00 on Sundays.