Instagram as a search for meaning

Sifting through Instagram during lunch, a free period, or class, is something of which almost all students are guilty. It offers an escape from the long day and makes us laugh, informs us, or gives us insight into another person’s life.
Who a person chooses to follow on social media can tell their followers a lot about some of their preferences and passions. Throughout the New Trier community, certain accounts stand out based on the plethora of students who follow these people/pages.
Sports accounts are popular among Chicago sports fans; the accounts for both the Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Bulls both garner a strong following. Twitter can provide live news, meaning it’s available faster than other social networks.
“I like the Blackhawks account because they post a lot of cool pictures and I play hockey and I like to stay up to date on the team,” said sophomore Griffin Gardiner.
Singer Taylor Swift has 27.1 million followers on Instagram, while Justin Bieber has 25.3 million followers. Kim Kardashian-West has 28.4 million followers, the most of any person on Instagram.
All the Kardashians, Kim, Kourtney, and Khloe, and Kendall and Kylie Jenner, are heavily followed by New Trier students.
On Instagram, many legitimate photography accounts are also respected by New Trier students. GoPro, an account based on posting videos and pictures from their camera, has become popular due to the amazing picture quality and unique angles that a GoPro camera can provide.
“It’s my favorite because they post really sick pictures and videos, and they are all really good quality,” said junior Samuel Gagerman.
“It’s just fun to look through all of the GoPro videos and see what people are doing,” said junior Griffin Cleary.
Now that online shopping has become as trendy as actually going into the store, Instagram is the place to go to see pictures of the clothing. Links in the bios of the accounts will take you directly to the clothing brand´s website so you can purchase the clothes. Brandy Melville and Urban Outfitters have become popular due to their intricate designs and fun clothes.
“Brandy Melville is good because it’s a great store that shows really good pictures of their clothes and it makes you want to buy them,” said Morris.
Athletes on Twitter are very popular for a number of reasons. Often times students follow athletes in order to catch a glimpse of a bad or funny tweet that could get the player suspended. Athletes like Chad Johnson, Metta World Peace, and Floyd Mayweather are followed because they post whatever they want, regardless of the publics opinion.
Meme accounts have also skyrocketed recently. Everyone loves a funny picture, and some accounts, including thefatjewish, textsfromyourex, and theellenshow on Instagram have consistently been a hit among Trevians
Animal accounts on instagram remain popular as well. Both cats_of_instagram and dogs_of_instagram deliver consistently cute animals on a daily basis. Cashcats, an account portraying cats with lots of cash around them, has now gained over 100,000 followers.
“Cashcats always makes my day and always puts a smile on my face. It’s really funny and cute” said Gagerman.
With 300 million monthly active Instagram users, it’s safe to say that new, creative, and fun accounts are sure to pop up soon.