Trending this week: Heelys at New Trier

It’s safe to say that every kid remembers Heelys. Around 2005, it was the shoe of the future. Every child dreamt of them, (almost) every parent banned them. Despite the notorious injuries that came along with the sneaker-turned-rollerblade, they were the “it” accessory for everyone. And now, they’re back.
Among the many Timberlands and Converse that stomp around the halls of New Trier these days, Heelys have been spotted in the crowd. The trend originated from the senior class, and it’s now trickling down throughout all grades.
Sophomore Talia Krause said, “I wear them because they’re sick. They’re convenient. It’s like fashion meeting function.” Junior Jack Hlavacek agreed with Krause, stating that “they’re more of a fashion statement.”
But not everyone agrees.
Sophomore Peter Jacus believes they’re a joke, claiming that “nobody wears them for their transportation. It’s more just to be funny.”
The debate continues over whether or not Heelys are back in style for their function or for their fashion, and the students at New Trier all seem to have their own opinions on the trend.
“They’re the new fashionable style of transportation,” said senior Sofia Bazianos. “Students throughout all grades are envious of their rolling peers, but some are worried about the safety risks that Heelys present.”
For some, the unique shoes bring back both good and bad memories of a childhood on wheels.
“I sprained my ankle twice and fell more times than I could count,” said sophomore Grant Higgins, who owned a pair of Heelys back in the day. Higgins went on to say that with all the people walking around the halls and on the stairs at New Trier, Heelys probably aren’t the best shoe choice.
Other students have complete disregard for the dangers that come along with Heelys. Students from all grades showed envy for the shoes, elaborating on the benefits that Heelys produce.
Junior Lukas Trieb claimed to want a pair for style, while sophomore Kyle Griffin wanted the shoes for convenience and ease.
No matter students’ split views on Heelys, teachers seem to feel only one way: against them.
School nurse Colleen Sheridan remembered when her kids wore Heelys. While Sheridan has not seen any Heelys around school, she did say that they are good for transportation to and from school, but adds “they should not at all be allowed in school. They should be handled with the same precautions as roller blades or a skateboard.”
Kinetic Wellness teacher and head field hockey coach Stephanie Nykaza agreed with Sheridan, saying that “outside of school they’re fine, but they shouldn’t be allowed inside the building.”
While the trend began within the senior class, the reason for the movement remains unknown. Some sources claim that it’s part of a senior prank, others simply say that it’s purely for fun.
The real question, however, is why now? The shoe was invented in 2000, and ever since then it has gradually decreased in popularity.
Loyola sophomore Lindsay Matousek stated that Heelys are not at all back in style anywhere else besides New Trier. While there are some students who are against Heelys, the majority of kids respect and admire them.
Not only do a select group of New Trier students admire Heelys as a fashion statement, but it’s seemingly apparent that students also get a kick out of their entertainment value.