Wife material? Finding love on “The Bachelor”

Drama and exotic travel destinations attract viewers to reality TV show

Emily Roemer, Staff Reporter

Do lights, cameras, and millions of viewers make for a realistic setting to find true love?

The reality television dating show, “The Bachelor,” aims to prove that one can find love in any environment, even on a show.

“The Bachelor” debuted on March 25, 2002 on ABC, and is now on its 20th season. It is hosted by Chris Harrison. The show’s success has resulted in several spin-offs, including “The Bachelorette,” “Bachelor Pad,” and “Bachelor in Paradise.”

The series is designed to revolve around a single eligible bachelor, who typically starts with 25 romantic interests. By the end of the season, the bachelor is expected to select a wife from this group of 25.

During the course of the season, the bachelor eliminates candidates, and the final episode sometimes ends with a proposal to his final woman.
Of the past 19 seasons, 11 of the bachelors have proposed during their final episode.

For the first two weeks of filming, the contestants stay in “Villa de la Vina,” a 7,590-square-foot, six-bedroom, nine-bath home in Agoura Hills, California. The bachelor and women then spend their other weeks traveling, both around the U.S. and abroad. Episodes have been filmed throughout the United States, Canada, England, New Zealand, Vietnam, Korea, France, Italy, and more.

“The dates and trips they go on are so exotic and cool,” junior Rachel Cohen said. “It makes the show more interesting that they are constantly traveling to beautiful places and doing extravagant things.”

Besides the wanderlust-inspiring adventures, many people are intrigued by the drama stirred up among the women. The drama and conflict on the show are heightened by the elimination-style format of the show.

Sophomore Meredith Nassar, who has watched the show for three seasons, said, “It’s so ridiculous that you want to see what’s going to happen. It’s not practical at all.”

Many people believe that with so much drama and emotion, the show cannot be realistic. “There’s no way people can be acting genuine when all of America is watching,” sophomore Peter Lifvendahl said.

These dramatic scenes with heightened emotions often take place on rose ceremony nights, where the cocktail party can continue until 4 or 5 am, and the women then are given some time to clean themselves up before starting the rose ceremony.

After a night of no sleep, high heels, and hours of alcohol, it’s no surprise that there are occasional outbursts.

Controversy ensued on March 15, 2010, when the creator of the show, Mike Fleiss, appeared on 20/20 and said that the contestants are often made into characters that will satisfy his audience. “They need their fair share of villains every season,” Fleiss said. This can be achieved through selective editing that falsely portrays a woman and her true character.

After admitting this, Fleiss has been the subject of controversy for making the show seem less about “true love” and more about what will attract audiences.
When fan-favorite Ben Higgins was sent home by Kaitlyn Bristowe on “The Bachelorette,” viewers were heartbroken. Ben left in despair, without a rose, but still looking for true love and ready to put his heartbreak behind him. ABC then chose him as the 20th Bachelor.

Higgins grew up in the small town of Warsaw, Indiana. His parents have been happily married for thirty-four years and Ben is looking for an authentic love like that.

Ben’s life as a normal software salesperson has dramatically changed. He is recognized and approached by his adoring fans everywhere he goes. Ben appears to have it all, except for the true love he is searching for. He believes it is possible for him to find his soul mate on his current season of “The Bachelor.”

Spoiler Alert- Though currently unconfirmed, Ben Higgins’s second runner up, Caila Quinn, is expected to become the next Bachelorette. The finale will air March 14, where Ben will choose between Lauren B. and Jojo.