Nasty Woman t-shirts make statement

Students take a stand on the recent presidential election and women’s rights

Helen Fagan, Examiner Editor

In the wake of the recent presidential election, six seniors are continuing to show their Clinton pride by selling homemade t-shirts with the slogan “nasty woman”.

The words reference a quote from Donald Trump during a presidential debate, where he called Hillary Clinton a “nasty woman.”

The girls started their t-shirt campaign after feeling lost following the result of the recent election. Nasty woman founder Maya Rabinowitz said, “After the election, a lot of people were saddened at the outcome. That prompted us to start making the shirts to raise money for a cause we believed in.”

The t-shirts are made by hand using spray-paint. Using a plain white t shirt and stencils, the design is spray-painted onto the shirt. The stencils used are also cut out by hand.

The shirts sell for $15 apiece, and 100% of the proceeds are donated to Planned Parenthood.

The seniors chose this charity as it coincides with their goal to empower women through the “nasty woman” shirts.

The Trump campaign has voiced its intent to defund Planned Parenthood, another reason the girls chose to have the money donated there.

Rabinowitz said, “At times like this when we’re not sure what public programs supporting women will continue to be funded by the government, we need to band together and make sure that everyone receives the care they deserve.”

Rabinowitz commented that her and her friends decided to make the shirts to bring hope in a time where many are feeling uncertain about the fate of the country.

She said, “We’re trying to send messages of solidarity and hope with these shirts.”

The shirts have received a positive response from students and staff.

Over 133 of the shirts have been sold so far. Though most of the t-shirt sales come from the senior class, as the artists are seniors, underclassmen and individuals from neighboring high schools are purchasing the shirts as well.

The t-shirt artists have been slightly overwhelmed with the high demand for the shirts, but are amazed by the success of the brand and are working to fill all of their orders.

As the demand for “nasty woman” shirts has expanded, the business has, too. The girls now offer more than one “nasty woman” design.

Rabinowitz said her reason for doing so was to allow anyone who wanted to join the “nasty woman” campaign the ability to do so. She said, “We’ve added a bunch of other designs to be more gender and racially inclusive, so everyone can be involved in the cause.”

Students have many reasons for purchasing these t-shirts. Some wish to support Planned Parenthood, others wish to speak out for Hillary Clinton or against Donald Trump, and others simply thought the shirt was well-designed.

Senior Rani Mehta bought her shirt so she could do her part in making an influence in today’s political climate.

She said, “Personally, I wasn’t of age to vote in the election but I think it was an election that was so important to me being a young female. I felt passionately about a lot of the issues brought up. I think the shirts were a way to make a statement and a way to have a voice in an election where women especially were targeted and objectified.”

Senior Amelia Lytle bought the shirt as she found the calling to be a “nasty woman” empowering. She said,  “It creates a community of women who can find strength in each other and support each other.”

Those interested in bying a shirt can visit the Instagram page @woman.together to find a link to the order form.