New coming of age film falls short of predicted classic status

“The Edge of Seventeen” is met with raving reviews by movie-goers

Jessi Zook, Features Editor

“The Edge of Seventeen” is a typical teenage angst movie, but it has fallen short of its expectations to become a modern day classic.

The film follows Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) as she navigates her way through her junior year of high school.  Like all teenagers, Nadine struggles with getting along with her mother (Kyra Sedgwick) and brother Darian (Blake Jenner).

However, these issues are heightened when Darian begins dating Nadine’s best friend Krista (Haley Lu Richardson).

Woody Harrelson also stars in “The Edge of Seventeen,” playing the role of Mr. Bruner, Nadine’s teacher.  As the plot moves forward, he takes on a larger role, eventually becoming a confidant and ally of Nadine, as it seems he’s the only one she can confide in.

Throughout the movie, Nadine continually struggles to understand boys, find her role in her family, and secure her reputation at school.

The comedy comes from Nadine’s constant awkward flair.  Whether it be attributed to her mismatched, double-patterned outfits or her need to say exactly what’s on her mind, no one can deny the sometimes overbearing quality.

The movie itself was enjoyable to watch, with a heartwarming plot.  Even more than that, no one in the audience could contain their laughter.

Yet, while the movie was portrayed as a comical, stitch-in-the-side, sort of film, it also managed to address real problems that adolescents face.

Many teen movies focus solely on the charming aspects of high school, but this one took on the tremendous task of showing the not so glamorous portions.

While it’s exaggerated, for sure, Nadine’s trek through her junior year captures the struggles that many teens face.

Though at times Nadine was quirky, painfully honest, moody, and unlikable, I was shocked to find that I resonated with her, felt for her, and couldn’t help but root for her to win out in the end.

Despite the talented cast and likeable plot, the movie itself was oversold.  On Rotten Tomatoes, it was given a whopping 94 percent, a very generous rating, in my opinion.

Rotten Tomatoes even compared it to “Sixteen Candles” and “The Breakfast Club,” two of the most memorable movies from the eighties.

They are movies that, despite new beliefs, new technology, and new movies, have withstood the test of time.  They’re coming-of-age films that people will most likely still be watching years from now.

“The Edge of Seventeen,” while touching on timeless ideas, will have a much more difficult time staying relevant when competing with the  hundreds of other movies coming out every year.

Despite the raving reviews for “The Edge of Seventeen,” I can’t say that people will still be raving about it twenty years from now.