Trevians scour area for summer jobs

As the weather starts to get warmer, one question ringing in a lot of high school students’ mind is, “how am I going to make money this summer?” At New Trier, the competition for the ideal job is just as fierce as it is for getting into the best colleges.
The summer provides a perfect opportunity for students to earn a few bucks working somewhere local. With no homework, kids are free to work hours they might not have been able to during the school year and are more flexible with their time. While some may opt for a job at a restaurant or store, summer also opens up a whole new set of jobs available only around that time of year.
At New Trier, there are plenty of options when it comes to finding a job. Lots of students work part time throughout the year at local restaurants and malls, but the summer is certainly the busiest time for the job market.
One option is to consult the job board in the career center, which posts flyers from local businesses that have expressed an interest in hiring New Trier students. Most job postings are for babysitters and after school tutors, with the occasional internship opportunity available.
However, the most popular job with students at New Trier has been working with the local park districts. “I think park districts are the best bet, with the most volume for jobs,” said Mrs. Ottolini, who is the Career Center Assistant. “But they don’t always come to the job board; you have to be proactive and go to the websites.”
Park district jobs include life guarding, working as a summer camp counselor or being a tennis instructor. Most of the jobs tend to be around only during the summer, hence the attraction to students.
Most of these park district jobs tend to be very competitive and some can be fairly time demanding. For example, most beach and country club jobs require employees to work from Memorial weekend through Labor Day weekend, not leaving room for summer vacations or other commitments. Also, in order to be qualified for a life guarding job, applicants have to have taken a certification course and prove that they are a competent swimmer.
Because job positions are somewhat limited and there is such a high demand for them, many Park Districts will start talking to prospective employees well before the summer comes around. “Wilmette will start talking to people about summer jobs over winter break,” explained Ottolini, “so you have to start early.” Though smaller districts will call in to the career center, the best option is to start checking the websites sometime in December.
Junior Greer Lafontant spent last summer working as a life guard at Indian Hill Country Club. “I got to meet new people, it was a lot of fun,” said Lafontant. “There were New Trier people, there were North Shore Country Day people. I’m pretty sure there was a girl from GBN, and then there were some college kids.”
None of the park district jobs are limited to people who live in the area, so they provide a perfect opportunity to meet students from outside New Trier.
“I would totally recommend summer jobs because summer jobs give you finances and finances give you freedom,” said Lafontant.
For most of the jobs, applicants have to be sixteen or older, especially to work the cash register. Students who are a little younger can look into the counselor in training programs many of the camps offer, which are paid and normally last six weeks. These trainees then have the option to return the next summer as full time counselors.
While the majority of students will opt for one of these summer specific jobs, students are certainly not limited to them. There are plenty of opportunities to work at local restaurants and retail stores such as Three Tarts or E Street Denim.
These jobs tend to be less student oriented and are available as year-round jobs as opposed to just summer time. Of course, there is always babysitting, which can be very lucrative in this area. The most important thing to do when searching for a job is take initiative and put yourself out there.