News Cues

International

115 people were killed in a stampede on a bridge in India on Sunday the 13th. Hundreds of thousands of people had congregated in Madhya Pradesh for a Hindu festival. Then, officials said, a rumor spread that the bridge was about to collapse. In the ensuing panic, in addition to the people killed, over a hundred more were injured, and several of those are said to be in critical condition.

This is not the first time this bridge has been damaged in such a stampede; it had recently been rebuilt following an incident seven years ago.

National

The Congressional standoff that caused the government shutdown ended on Wednesday the 16th, as Republicans backed down from their efforts to end Obamacare. The debt ceiling has been extended until early February.

The Republican party is still divided over future attempts against Obamacare: some have decided for a ceasefire while the Democrats control the Senate and the White House, while others are still determined to achieve their agenda. The next budget battle will come in mid-January.

The Treasury Secretary stated that economic growth was damaged by the shutdown, and that a repeat must “never happen again”.

Chicago

Chicago’s traffic cameras have warned over 230,000 speeders during the 45-day trial period, which ended on Sunday, the city stated Friday. If this trend continues, now that fines can be issued based on traffic cam data, the city would generate $8.8 million per month, or $106 million annually, from this program alone.

City transportation officials believe this number to be optimistic. They expect the number of speeders to decline due to warnings received for violations during the trial period.

The mayor’s administration can place up to 300 cameras under current legislation, which the Chicago Tribune claims could cover half the city.

Local

Keith Cozart, more commonly known as Chief Keef, the rapper who recently moved to the North Shore, was sentenced to almost three weeks in jail on Tuesday the 15th, Cook County officials stated.

The sentence was issued after Cozart tested positive for marijuana. Due to a 110-mph speeding ticket he received in May, he has been required to submit to random drug tests.

Cozart has had numerous legal problems in the last year. Charges include contempt of court, gun violations,  drug possession, and car theft.