Top stories from the past 4 years: 2012 passing of Principal Borja

Beloved Northfield campus principal Jan Borja passed away of cancer in early February of 2012, marking an extremely saddening event in New Trier’s history.

Borja played many roles at New Trier, including Adviser Chair for freshmen and sophomore girls, Modern and Classical Languages Department Chair, and Northfield Campus Principal from 2001 to 2011. As the first principal of the Northfield campus after its reopening, Borja was a significant and visible leader.

Known for her encouragement of both social and academic education, Borja was also an innovator in her field. She worked closely with Superintendent Linda Yonke, former Winnetka campus Principal Dr. Timothy Doher, and current senior girls adviser chair Cindee Scott. Borja planned the reopening of the Northfield campus with Dr. Doher, showing him the importance of welcoming freshmen into the high school environment with support.

Borja furthered her work to emotionally support students by leading the creation of the Names program at the Northfield campus. This is considered to be among her greatest accomplishments, and it is a large part of the legacy she leaves behind at New Trier.

Borja retired in June of 2011, and she died almost a year later after an admirable forty year-long career at New Trier.