WNTH citrus sale joins the 21st century

This year, the Radio Board is planning to purchase a new sound board and revamp the already-existing recording studio on the fifth floor.

WNTH does not receive the bulk of its operating expenses from the school. Instead, they rely on profits from fundraisers to keep their programs going.

This puts the responsibility of raising even more money on this year’s DJs and Radio Board members.

“This year, we are having DJs sell 12 boxes as opposed to 10 boxes, which had been the standard in the past,” said Station Manager, Luke Sherman.

“This is a reflection of the fact that we are trying to raise more money to get the recording studio and sound board,” he said.

Club sponsor Iwona Awlasewicz said, “This is a student funded club, and this is how we get our money. If we want new stuff, we simply have to raise more.”

Awlasewicz also said that the recording studio and the new sound board will cost $5,000, and they should have the money to purchase the recording studio after next year’s citrus sale.

The radio board is also considering another fundraising opportunity in the spring so that they might have the new recording studio completed by next fall.

The jump from 10 to 12 boxes may have bothered some of the DJs, but Senior DJ Emiko George remarked, “Selling citrus isn’t hard at all. It’s just like anything. When you leave it until the last minute it can be very hard, especially when you have to sell 12 boxes. But if you do it in advance, it is not that hard,” said George

The Radio Board has incentives for their DJs to sell more boxes. This year’s top prize is concert tickets of the winner’s choice from the radio station WXRT, along with other smaller prizes.

According to Sherman, this has driven people to sell more boxes, and it is always a friendly competition among radio board members.

George said, “Last year I got really into the competition, and I think it drove people to sell the most boxes they could.”

One of the things that is always difficult for radio board is to count the cash and checks DJs turn in.

Radio Board has tried to simplify this process in useing an online option, in which the money is counted automatically.

This is done on RevTrack, the school’s online payment system.

Unfortunately, many people had issues with the online store this year.

“We weren’t clear on where to go and how to pay. We didn’t realize that people outside of New Trier didn’t know what RevTrack was and how to use it,” said Awlasewicz.

Senior Robert Kennedy, the Public Affairs Director for WNTH, thinks there should be a checklist and instructions sheet on how to do online orders, especially because next year they plan on going paperless.

“I can only imagine the fiasco next year if we have this issue again, especially because they plan on only using the online system,” he said.

Although there were difficulties this year, Awlasewicz is looking forward to not having to count all the money next year. “It’s the 21st century. It’s time to make our lives easier,” she said.

Another change to this year’s citrus sale is the location to pick up one’s citrus delivery. It is moving from the steps on Winnetka Avenue outside the Gaffney Auditorium to the cafeteria at the Northfield Campus.

They implemented this change because they will be unable to use the Gaffney location since the new construction to that part of the building. (There are now bathrooms where they used to house the citrus.)

The citrus is driven up on a truck directly from Fort Pierce, Florida and it will be available for pick up starting December 12.