Dance Marathon a wild success

The thump of the bass-line draws you in as you descend the steps leading into the Scrounge. The DJ is just starting to play, but students and faculty already crowd the dance floor.
Balloons form a beautiful arch over the doorway, and the previously dull Scrounge has been made-over, with blue lights creating an ethereal glow.
The line for the photo booth grows and grows as students dress up in silly costumes while they make funny faces for pictures.
But wait, it’s not prom yet—New Trier’s first Breaking Boundaries Dance Marathon was held on Mar. 22, and was a wild success, according to its sponsors and those who attended.
Much of the marathon’s success was due to dancers and donators. As Tamara Villalon, member of Breaking Boundaries, said “It wouldn’t have been possible without the support of so many people.”
The Marathon was held in order to raise money for Breaking Boundaries’ post high school ELS scholarships, and this year, $5,000 was raised.
This scholarship fund was designed for students with special needs who want to attend specialized courses after high school. Julie Smith, co-sponsor of Breaking Boundaries explained, “There are so many more programs available now for students with disabilities, but there’s not a lot of scholarship opportunities.”
The scholarship fund was created two years ago by an ELS member, according to Nicole de Matteo, ELS club member. “This fund allows for ELS students to pursue higher education opportunities after they have completed their time here at New Trier,” she explained.
The dance marathon itself was the first ever thrown by Breaking Boundaries, although scholarships have been given out since 2013, but it was almost entirely student generated, populated, and run.
“I give a lot of credit to the students, they came up with the idea of promoting using the flash mob, it’s just up to us as sponsors to make it happen. They also did a remarkable job finding decorations and deciding how to transform the Student Lounge,” said Smith, “I think it’s the best the Scrounge has ever looked.”
Aside from raising money, the Dance Marathon was also about giving the ELS community and other members of the North Shore a chance to come together. Cammie de Loys, another dance marathon participant and member of Breaking Boundaries describes the dance goers as “a nice balance of ELS students, ELS peers, and non ELS related students. Everyone had a fantastic time.”
This dance was a particularly great chance for the ELS students to come together and have fun, as Smith said, “I would say that especially our students in the ELS program had the time of their lives. They danced the whole time, they were exhausted afterwards, and they had a lot of fun.” As Villalon describes, “Almost everyone danced the full two hours, and we had a blast. Even those who normally are more on the shy side let go and really seemed to enjoy themselves.”
Even more importantly, it’s what the scholarships are able to do for students with disabilities and their futures.
“One of the students who received [a scholarship last year] is studying to be a special education teacher. That student came back to do observation hours at New Trier this year. I’ve never been more proud of the work that we do, it’s through the efforts of the students and the ELS club and this fundraising, that we’re able to support his dreams,” said Smith.