New Trier welcomes new Athletic Director

Augie Fontanetta will return to NT Athletics in July

Georgia Caras, News Editor

As New Trier readies to say goodbye to athletic director Randy Oberembt, we welcome his replacement, Augustino “Augie” Fontanetta.

Fontanetta is currently the director of athletics and activities for District 211, which includes Conant, Fremd, Hoffman Estates, Palatine and Schaumburg. Before that, he served as the athletic director at Fremd.

Although he does not currently work for New Trier, Fontanetta spent a substantial amount of time working in the district.

“I spent my first 14 years of my career as a Kinetic Wellness instructor and coach for wrestling, football and softball at New Trier, including five years as the head wrestling coach. New Trier was a wonderful place to grow and develop as a young teacher and coach,” Fontanetta said.

He also told the Chicago Tribune that, “[New Trier is] an exceptional place that offers athletic programs as part of the educational vision of the school.

There already is a great coaching staff in place, and I am looking forward to working with them and giving them the support and resources they need to succeed.”
Current athletic director Randy Oberembt said, “He knows New Trier because he’s put a decade and a half in here. You can tell he really loves New Trier because he wanted to be back here. He had a very wonderful job, and we should all feel really proud that he left a really good job so he could be here.”

In terms of what brought him back to the school, Fontanetta said, “What I like most about New Trier is the commitment that coaches and parents have to the district and to provide our student-athletes with exceptional experiences, including athletics.”

Although excited, Fontanetta knows that taking the place of Oberembt, who was recently selected as the Illinois Athletic Directors Association’s Class Athletic Director of the Year may not seem easy, but it is a feat that he is more than willing to take on.

“Randy is an excellent Athletic Director, and well-respected not only at New Trier, but also throughout the state. Although I think it is important to respect Randy’s legacy, my goal will be to create and establish my own culture. I am definitely excited for the challenge,” Fontanetta said.

In terms of explaining what constitutes a good athletic director, Fontanetta said, “[They] need to be accessible and approachable for students, parents, staff and community members. Athletic directors need to have the ability to plan long-term and have a vision for continued development and growth for the athletic department. This includes coach development, hiring, and facility planning.”

To Oberembt, there is a crucial aspect of being a good and effective athletic director.

“The relationships they form with students and other faculty. These relationships are really what builds the institution, and I think that [Fontanetta] is very much going to do an outstanding job with this,” Oberembt said.

Principal Denise Dubravec said, “We were really impressed with Augie’s attitude and past experiences. The experience he brings will definitely benefit our students. He’s enthusiastic, passionate, and committed. He really values students having a positive athletic experience and he understands that these are students who have a lot on their plate.”

When he fulfills the position on July 1 2016, Fontanetta plans to bring change to the department with the help of the New Trier community.

Dubravec said, “Right now, he’s meeting with Mr. Oberembt and some other key stakeholders within the institution. I think once he gets here he’ll talk to coaches and students and come up with his plan of what he sees as important issues to take on.”

Fontanetta said, “I believe the combination of my teaching and coaching experience at New Trier and my administrative experience in District 211 will be a benefit to [New Trier’s] athletic program. I am particularly looking forward to improving our athletic facilities.”

Fontanetta said it’s, “Probably a little early to identify specific changes at this point, but I am excited about creating and enhancing our facilities.”

Oberembt said, “I think he has some big plans for the things that he’d like to see done. He’s got some really concrete ideas about what he’d like to add.”

Bob Spagnoli, who is a New Trier teacher and the girls track and field coach, knew Fontanetta since 1987 when he began coaching him on the Notre Dame Dons football team in Niles.

Spagnoli said on the football team, “He was a leader, hard-worker, dedicated to his team, showed compassion towards his teammates, and was really an asset to the program. He was a funny kid, he had a good nature about him, and everything I remember about him from high school is nothing but fantastic.”

July 1 2016, Fontanetta plans to bring change to the department with the help of the New Trier community.

Bob Spagnoli, teacher and the girls track and field coach, has known Fontanetta since 1987 when he began coaching him on the Notre Dame Dons football team in Niles.