New rooftop garden’s purpose questioned

Is this glimpse to the great outdoors worth more than $100,000?

Helen Fagan, Examiner Editor

New Trier’s new rooftop garden is receiving mixed reviews from students. Some are appreciative of the new outdoor space, while others question if it’s necessary.
Tucked away on the 4th floor, the garden seems to be one of the less well-known parts of the construction.
Senior Noah Flanagan said, “What? The rooftop garden is open? I heard it wasn’t going to open until later in the year.”
Sophomore Barbara Neumann remarked that she hasn’t had the energy to make the trek up to the roof. “I haven’t been up there yet, but I want to because it looks really cool,” said Neumann.
Students who have been to the garden commented that the new rooftop allows them to be a part of the high school of their dreams.
Sophomore Kathleen Hopps remarked, “It reminds me of High School Musical 3, the scene where Troy and Gabriella are dancing on the deck. It’s really pretty and I think it will be really nice when the weather’s warm.”
High School Musical 3 took place in Albuquerque, New Mexico, a city that sports a much warmer climate than here in Winnetka, Illinios.
Senior Hope Baisley expressed her concern about the utility of the garden during the winter months. “I like the idea of it, but I’m not sure that people will go up there and study when it’s colder and raining. I feel like it will be useful in the spring and the beginning of the school year, but I’m not sure about the rest of the year.”
Students expressed interest in wanting to study in the new space. A PowerPoint shown to advisories last week that informed students about the deck stated “Seating will be added to the area within the next month.” Many Trevians commented that they will make more use of the space once there are tables and chairs available on the deck. “I think it would be a good place to study if they got some furniture, but right now I don’t really know what I’d do up there.”
The new construction has created many new relaxation spots that students are taking advantage of. In a PowerPoint publicized to the student body, the garden is called “a vegetative oasis resulting in a place where students can relax.”
Sitting at a table in the crowded Trevian Commons, junior Roshan Raj showed appreciation for the new space, “I think the rooftop garden is a cool idea. It’s a place where students can relax and take a break from their day. I think it’s a really smart investment for the school.”
The garden will allow students to spend time outside during their school day. Freshmen can walk outside between buildings during their passing periods, which is something that many upperclassmen miss when they transition to Winnetka. Sophomore Molly Van Gorp said, “Especially because this campus is all-enclosed compared to the Northfield campus, I think it will be nice to be able to go outside and get some fresh air during the day.”
Others remarked that the amount of fresh air available at the East Campus is already satisfactory. Flanagan said, “Is it beneficial? Sure. It allows people to go outside during the day when it’s stuffy in here sometimes. But necessary? You can hang out on the front lawn if you want to.”
As with all aspects of the new construction, members of the community are nervous that NT students will abuse the new space. Some Trevians are fearful that their fellow classmates will ruin the garden for the rest of the student body.
To ensure that the space remains beautiful, the administration publicized that the space will be monitored by security personnel.
The PowerPoint shown to advisery rooms informed students how to use the garden responsibly by observing the signs throughout the garden and sitting only on paved areas.
The garden was partially funded by New Trier’s Girls Club and Tri-Ship who donated $100,000 towards the construction of the roof.