Letter to the editor

Dear Staff:
I am writing to express my concern over the erroneous reporting by Nick Merrill, in the Diversions article entitled, “Sub shop abruptly closes despite community support”, referring to Wilmette Subs, located at 1135 Greenleaf Ave., and my dance and music studio, located at 1131, 1133, and 1141 Greenleaf Ave., that appeared in the school newspaper on October 24, 2014. Unfortunately, due diligence, a necessity of good journalism, was neglected in this story. I feel strongly about addressing this issue, because I recognize that this is student journalism, and believe a good lesson in ethics can be quickly learned from this situation.
The article claims, “The closure (of Wimette Subs, located at 1135 Greenleaf) wasn’t due to a lack of profits or operating hardship, but rather a political decision made by a new landlord to give the space to a dance studio next door (without allowing Wilmette Subs an opportunity to re-lease the space.” This is a statement created by hearsay, not by factual information. If due diligence had been served, the author would have discovered that there is no new landlord, there were legal issues dating back at least 6 months that had absolutely nothing to do with my dance and music studio, and that the dance studio has, on public record, applied for and secured a year-long lease (August 2014 to August 2015) for the formerly vacant Link’s Sweet Bean space, two doors from the former Wilmette Sub, not at 1135 Greenleaf, as stated in the paper. Wilmette Subs went out of business AFTER we opened at 1141 Greenleaf.
Perhaps Mr. Merrill is unaware of the lengthy process that one must endure to open a business in Wilmette. I started the investigation process of expanding my business to the former Link’s Sweet Bean space (1141 Greenleaf) in March of 2014, which came to fruition only in mid-September. This included a mass mailing to residents within a certain distance, 2 hearings in front of the village board and televised on the public station, and the negotiation of a lease. Therefore, there were many opportunities to research, contact the dance studio, or check the village records for facts, but none were taken before writing this article.
As an educator, I do feel that it is our responsibility to stress the importance of investigating your sources before making any damaging claims. I work day and night to present my business as a valuable fixture in the Wilmette and surrounding communities, and I am disappointed that this article was released without the proper research.

Respectfully, Pamela Sue Fox, Owner, Studio North Academy of the Performing Arts, LLC