MLK Day won’t waste your time

Carly Travis, Opinions Editor

What are your plans for Monday, Jan. 18? Will you wake up per usual, sip a cup of watery Joe from the small cafe, then sulk into your seat in advisery? Or will you sleep in and join your middle school aged siblings for breakfast around 10 am and stay in your pajamas until 2 pm?

The past few weeks, conversation has been swirling about whether people will attend school on MLK Day. It often goes like this: “Are you actually going to school? There’s honestly no point. We already know what there is to say.”

Here’s the deal: I’ve pulled this trick many times. I only stayed for half of Lit Fest; Sophomore service day was accidentally (on purpose) scheduled the same day as a job interview; I practically invented sporadic early dismissals that only I seem to get word of. Before I out myself even further, sometimes taking a mental health day in place of an in-school excursion is appropriate. Other times, not so much.

For most of our school-aged lives, we’ve spent Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday doing nothing; we take the national holiday off because that’s what we were told to do. This year, people are making a fuss about having to attend school on Monday and although I can’t blame them, I won’t be joining them in their complaints.

In actuality, a seminar day isn’t that bad and in this particular case, it should be compelling. In fact, I challenge you to look ahead with excitement for what you might learn.

New Trier isn’t alone in encouraging their students to attend lectures and workshops on Dr. King’s day. Northwestern University devotes an entire week to commemorating King. After doing some research, it seems to be the most progressive university to do so.

On Monday, NU is hosting a whirlwind of authors, keynote speakers, and activities for students to participate in, all organized by student led groups.

It all leads up to a Harambee on Friday night which is Swahili for “pull together.” It’s co-sponsored by African American Student Affairs (AASA) and For Members Only: NU’s Black Student Alliance.

New Trier doesn’t fall short of the prestigious university’s standards either. Along with featuring keynote speaker and author Isabel Wilkerson, we will have a special presentation courtesy of Ilyasah Shabazz, daughter of Malcolm X.

While the high profile names are enticing, hearing my peers present their ideas on race will be especially engaging. I wonder about what the Black and Brown club talks about during their meetings, and I feel like some of the workshops offered will give me some insight.

Race is one of the hardest topics to talk about, along with politics, money, and religion. It’s controversial in obvious ways but also awkward, because it’s often hard to grasp the attitude of your audience, whether they’re the same race as you or not.

This seminar day is crucial in helping us develop the right skills for discussing something that is sensitive but prevalent to our generation.

If you’re still feeling that the day won’t be worthwhile, consider the fact that Martin Luther King Day is recognized as a national day of service as well. Former Pennsylvania U.S. Senator Harris Wofford and Georgia Congressman John Lewis co-authored the King Holiday and Service Act.

The federal legislation challenges Americans to transform the holiday into a day of citizen action volunteer service in honor of Dr. King. President Bill Clinton signed the federal legislation into law on Aug. 23, 1994.

It may not seem like a service, but by being present, learning something new, and supporting classmates, you’re honoring the legacy that King would have wanted to instill.