Sports wrap-up: Girls water polo

Despite the Trevians third place game being a loss to St. Ignatius 12-8, they still had an incredible season. The girls water polo team (28-7-1) reached the semifinals of the state tournament before losing 14-4 against Fenwick and 12-8 St. Ignatius in the third place game. The team reached the quarterfinals of the state tournament for the second time in three years. Their finish was tied for the best finish in New Trier girls water polo history, matching the 2002 team.

In order to get to this position, the Trevians put in hard work with two-a-day practices. They beat the Ramblers 15-9 at the GBS Sectional championship for their birth in the state quarterfinals. The Trevians were led by senior Isabelle Baneux who scored six goals to help her team knock off the 2nd seed.

In the quarterfinals, the Trevians knocked off the Lincoln-Way Knights by a score of 9-6. They out-shot the Knights 34-16 and were able to move on to face Fenwick where they lost, but not before accomplishing a great season. “It was an incredible season and the girls did a great job,” said coach Matt Wendt.