Soccer strives for success

The intensity was there, the rowdy student section was there, and the shots were there, but the goals were not. On a brisk Thursday evening, the Trevians came out onto the field in hopes of beating Evanston, but lost 2-0.

A scoreless first half was filled with some very close shots on goal and strong saves by junior Andrew Gjertsen. The possession was spread out pretty evenly, while New Trier had the edge in shots on goal.

In the second half, the Wildkits came out energized and quickly scored on a header from a cross with 37 minutes to go in the game, just three minutes into the half. With just under eight minutes to go, the Wildkits just put the nail on the coffin scoring a second goal, and the match, winning 2-0. “We got away from simple possession and tried to force the game too much’” head coach Craig Fairbairn said. Both teams fought hard, but it was clear the Wildkits were the better team in the second half.

Despite the loss, The Trevians are having a successful season. They are now 9-4, after their most recent loss to Maine South. That game was scrappy, and Maine South scored their only goal on an attempted clear that was picked off by a Maine South player who scored, beating the Trevians 1-0.
New Trier is led by their three senior captains: Kevin Bode, Elliot Wezerek, and Matt Hayes. The captains have been leading the Trevians to their early success. “They are really instrumental in keeping the consistency up in our practice,” Fairbairn said.

One of the Trevians’ strengths this year is their chemistry both on and off the field. “No one tries to do too much with the soccer ball and that’s why we have played the quality soccer we have strived for since the preseason,” said senior Ben Kerzner.

The Trevians are looking ahead to conference, and hope to put themselves in a position to make another playoff run. Despite a few injuries, the Trevians are hoping to be full strength by the time the preseason rolls around. “I feel like this team can go far in the playoffs,” said senior Adam Tierney. “Once we get back a few of our injured players back, we will be a huge threat to our opponents.” Among the injuries that the Trevians have suffered is Hayes who recently sprained his ankle, and has been one of their main contributors. Juniors Sammy Markin, Charlie Malkin, and senior Kevin Bode have also caught the injury bug.

One of the concerns coming into the year was the Trevians goalkeeping. However, thus far the goalkeeping has been strength. “Our goalkeeping is really showing up,” Fairbairn said. The Trevians will look ahead to finishing the season with solid goalkeeping, and look to keep playing strong. “I think our team chemistry, work ethic, and motivation can benefit us tremendously finishing out the season and heading into the playoffs,” goalkeeper Gjertsen said.