Junge leads Trevs at State

Last Friday, New Trier took to the fairways in hopes of ending their season with a bang. The Class 3A State Final was at the Den at the Fox Creek Golf Club. In a shortened tournament, sophomore Jack Junge from New Trier shot an outstanding 71 to tie Deerfield junior Ian Kelsey for a share of the Individual Class 3A state title. This marked the first time in 13 years that a New Trier golfer has won the state meet.

Saturday’s planned 2nd round was cancelled because of rain, so the state tournament was decided solely based on Friday’s round. This gave Kelsey and Junge each a share of the individual Class 3A state title.

Junge shot a 38 on the front nine, and ended with an amazing 33 on the back, including five birdies. Junge led the Trevians, who tied for 6th in the team competition with a score of 317. Hinsdale Central took home the team state title with a score of 306, followed by second place Naperville North and third place Lyons.

The Trevians have had a very successful year. Starting with a successful 5-0 record in conference play, New Trier obtained success through their incredibly deep team. “Our team strength this year has definitely been our depth,” head coach Pete Drevline said.

The Trevians start from a field of 55 golfers, and for their state roster, only six can start. “Our team is like a major league team with a minor league system to choose from,” Drevline said.
In order to advance to the Class 3A State meet, New Trier had to place in the top three in the Sectional Meet hosted by New Trier on October 8th at the Winnetka Golf Club.

It was clear who the top three teams were: Glenbrook North, New Trier and Loyola. Glenbrook North won the Sectional with a score of 302, New Trier placed second with a score of 306, and Loyola was not far behind with a score of 308. After 3rd place Loyola, there was a significant drop-off. New Trier was led by Junge who shot a 73 and medaled to lead the Trevians to a second-place finish.

Despite a relatively young lineup, the Trevians received very important leadership from their two captains, senior Austin Rendell and senior Ian Wright. “We have had outstanding leadership by Austin Rendell and Ian Wright,” coach Drevline said.

It was no doubt the Trevians had a great season this year, and with a young lineup, the Trevians look to be strong again next season.