Night League competition heats up

As Winter break rolls around, Night League teams are looking to improve their records as last Wednesday marked the half-way point to the season.

For those who don’t know, Night League is an intramural basketball league organized by the Booster Club that plays on Wednesday nights. Games are held at Winnetka for sophomores, juniors and seniors, and games are held at Northfield for sophomores and freshmen.

Night League consists of an eight-week season culminating in a bracket-based March Madness-style tournament. Night League play consists of a “Winner’s bracket,” which is known as the Gold bracket, and a Consolation bracket, known as the Silver bracket.

Last year’s Gold bracket winner for the Senior Boys division was Good Hands Melton. Captained by Andrew Kirby, they look strong for another championship, with a 3-0 record going into week four. Other members of the championship team included Matt Wascher, Adam Kost, Alex Franczek, Matt Hayes, Devin Boehm and Kyle Melton.

This season, the team added Rory McGinnis to their squad, making them one of the heavy favorites to win the title again this year. The three other undefeated teams as of Dec. 18 are The Rowdy Roosters, captained by Daniel Ramis; Western Hemisphere Metta Ball, captained by Thomas Bechtel; and Boomtown, captained by Ross Weber.

As the fun and games of the holidays approach, it will be serious business for teams after Winter Break as they make their playoff pushes. Many of the struggling teams thus far may want to make some New Year’s resolutions to help improve their record in 2013.