NT gymnastics flies high at Evanston

The New Trier girls gymnastics team beat Evanston Township 140.95-122.05, last Tuesday, December 11, defending the team title with an 18.5 point lead.

Some of the varsity members that competed against Evanston were senior, Kerry Scafidi, juniors Elana Benishay and Stephanie Steen and sophomore Claire Egerter. Freshmen Ana Dabrowski and Taylor Kwok also contributed to the meet.

“Everybody did a great job. We are still working on our consistency as a team, but overall I can tell that our confidence level is definitely starting to build up as the season is progressing. Our freshmen are a great addition to the team due to their enthusiasm and motivation in the sport. Overall, I look forward to having a fantastic season with this strong and confident team!” said senior Kerry Scafidi.

Scafidi scored highest on Beam and Floor with score of 9.55 and 9.3 on vault and 9.4 on the bars.

“The Evanston meet went pretty well for varsity and the whole team,” said New Trier junior Stephanie Steen.

Steen scored a 9.3 on vault and a score of 8.95 on floor that night.

New Trier Girls also won the Glenbrook North Invitational/Spartan Classic on Saturday Dec. 8.

Big winner, Scafidi, scored an impressive season high of 139.325 points that helped New Trier capture the team title a second year in a row.

Scafidi is off to a great start this season, in her final year on the team, even though she failed to capture an individual title at her first three Spartan Classic Invitationals.

Scafidi’s all-around total of 37.35 gave her a .525 point lead against Vernon Hills senior Alli Tran who scored 36.825. Junior Elana Benishay was not too far off with a score of 36.625, which gave her third place in the 12-team field.

Benishay, who placed eighth on balance beam at state last season, was a close second to Scafidi on vault with a score of 9.6, but won the balance beam with a score of 9.2 all around.

At the end of last season, Benishay wiped out during her warm-ups. She then nailed the routine afterwards, finishing with eighth place.

According to CSL Insider, Libertyville (133.775) and Rolling Meadows (125.90) were second and third, respectively at the GBN Invite. Glenbrook North was a close fifth (125.15), just .1 behind fourth-place Vernon Hills (125.25). Glenbrook South (121.00), Evanston (120.60) and Niles West (118.25) finished seventh through ninth, and Niles North (109.35) was 11th.

After the Maine South High School meet last Thursday, New Trier scored a 138.25 in its second dual meet of the season.

According to head New Trier gymnastics coach, Jennifer Pistorius, the girls won all Libertyville Junior Varsity invites. They are currently 3-0 overall and 2-0 in their conference.

Last year, the girls team was first at the Central Suburban League South Meet, first at New Trier Regional, third at the Niles North Sectional and eighth at the State Meet.

The team’s eighth-place finish last year at the Illinois High School Association state finals is the program’s best finish since taking fifth place back in 1994-95 state finals.

New Trier’s girls gymnastics team is off to a great start and they are excited to continue competing this season.