Major league sports outside of New Trier

NFL: Chiefs Remain Only Unbeaten Team

After an awful season of 2-14 which saw a first overall pick in last year’s NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs have turned their team around and have gotten off to an impressive start. The Chiefs, under new Head Coach Andy Reid and new starting QB Alex Smith, have impressed the league and surprised many by more than tripling the amount of wins that they had last year. In fact, they remain the only unbeaten team in the NFL with a record of 8-0.The team looks to continue their unbeaten streak next week against the struggling Buffalo Bills who are 3-5.

Injuries Plaguing NFL Players:

During the past couple of weeks, more and more NFL players are seeing season ending injuries. Just this week saw two torn ACLs for St. Louis Quarterback Sam Bradford and Indianapolis Colts Wide Receiver Reggie Wayne. Some other notable players that have season ending injuries were New England Patriots Defensive Tackle Vince Wilfork, Atlanta Falcons Wide Receiver Julio Jones, and Philadelphia Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin.

MLB: Battle of the Red in this year’s World Series

This year’s MLB World Series will pit the Boston Red Sox against the St. Louis Cardinals. The Red Sox, after failing to make a postseason appearance in the past four years and losing 93 games last season, are looking to win their first World Series since 2007. The Cardinals, who won the World Series in 2011, are looking to win their second World Series in the last 3 seasons. With pitchers on both teams such as Adam Wainwright for the Cardinals and Jon Lester for the Red Sox, the top two teams in the MLB should put up an excellent fight. The series have been off to a fast start and is tied 2-2.

NHL: Colorado Avalanche off to Hot Start

The Colorado Avalanche, who had the second worst record in last year’s shortened season, has gotten off to a very hot start. Under the helm of new Head Coach and former Avalanche Goalie Patrick Roy, the Avalanche has the second best record in the NHL with a record of 10-1-0. Lead by Captain Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene, the Avalanche look to continue their hot start against the Winnipeg Jets.