Swimming and Diving team looks for 24th title

The Boys Swimming and Diving team is bearing down for 12 weeks of intense training and heated competition. Coming off of four consecutive state championships, the team has big shoes to fill, especially with such a large senior class graduating last year.

Placed under state and national spotlights, the New Trier Boys Swimming and Diving team has high expectations. The team is led by head coach Mark Onstott, otherwise known as Coach “O,” who has led the team to seven state titles in the past 10 years, as well as national titles. Coach O recently announced his retirement this past month, placing even more pressure on the team this year to win their 24 state titles.

“With these absences comes responsibility,” said Captain Matthew Weiser. “We never take anything for granted; we step up, work hard, and win state championships.”

When asked about the subject, junior, Clay Hackley, said, “There is a gap to be filled, and I’m confident we have just the right people to do so.” Sophomores Larry Brooks, Willie Kinsella, and Maxwell Robertson, along with Juniors, Murphy McQuet, Drew Keenan, and Tomo Sharpee, are said to be the people to fill this

The team is currently projected to be third in state by SwimSwam news, right behind Libertyville and Normal University. When asked about standings, Coach Mac Guy said, “We are a strong team, but we’re not as dominant on paper as we have been in the past.”

Senior and four-time state champion Jae Park has had a fair amount of success at the state meet and looks to lead the team this year. Park has high expectations for this year, saying, “Although I am not a captain, I still look to be a leader, in and out of the pool, doing whatever I can do to make the team more successful.”

The varsity team will face tough competition this year from teams like Hinsdale Central and Evanston in dual meets. The biggest factor to New Trier’s success at dual meets stems from their depth. With anywhere from 100 to 110 swimmers and divers, they are the largest team in the state. Weiser said, “We are a logistical nightmare for any team. We have people in every race that can win us points, where some teams can only stack a few events.”

Many members on the tean swim two times a day, year round. When people ask Noah Decker, a junior on the team, about the off season, he replies, “There isn’t an off season.” This type of commitment and dedication is another variable that has contributed to the success of the team.

With national attention and a storied past, the team will do whatever they can to make this season the best one yet. “There is only one goal,” Weiser said, “To prove to the doubters in the state and around the country that they are wrong. The dynasty still exists.”