Fly Solo room hits maximum capacity

Since 1902 New Trier has had a lifting program. Its site is the Fly Solo room, located just off the Peso Gym. The room consists primarily of free weights, with space for body weight exercises. The fly solo room has always been crowded, but this year it is jammed packed, with athletes cramming in six days a week. Many more teams have decided to take advantage of the Fly Solo room this year than in previous years.

The girls lacrosse team is one of those groups. Senior lacrosse player Charlotte McGuire said, “The Fly Solo room gives our team and other teams a chance to get in great shape and get stronger to be able to win a state championship.”

Many students don’t know what goes on in the Fly Solo room, but according to Jim Davis, the New Trier Strength and Conditioning coach, it’s where athletes go to become better athletes by getting stronger. Junior water polo player Maria Breen said, “I think that the teams at New Trier are realizing the benefits of having a strength and conditioning program and that Davis really knows what he is doing”.

All the different athletes agree that working with Davis can tremendously help athletes get stronger, help prevent injuries, and helps them get ready for the season. Davis said, “Right now we have more athletes than usable space in the fly solo room, we have had the highest turnout in 2014 so far.”

Most days before and after school the room is filled with athletes. Davis likes to keep a maximum of six teams in the 1,900 square foot room, but sometimes there is just not enough space.  Breen said, “Some days there are just so many people in there it’s hard to find a bar or weights or even space to work out without getting in someone else’s way.”

Junior football player James Doan said, “The football team has been lifting since before Thanksgiving break, but now it’s so crowded it’s hard to finish our lifts.”

According to Davis, due to overcrowding, the water polo team and volleyball team have to work out at five, while the football team, both of the lacrosse teams, and the boys soccer team are able to work out right after school or before school. Many teams have had to move into the gyms surrounding the fly solo room and also the field house downstairs just so they are able to work out. “We already have about ten teams and the power lifting team that come into the fly solo room, but we’re going to add water polo and badminton to mix as well” said Davis. He said “Depending on the day, there could be as many as ten varsity teams in here, buts that’s from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm.”

During the day athletes are coming in to lift as well. There is a class that you can take instead of gym designed for athletes who want to lift instead of doing a normal gym class. Also kids who are in season can come during their free periods to lift. These athletes want to improve their lifting technique and work one on one with Davis.

With the power lifting team and all the varsity teams that come into the weight room many are wondering if the fly solo room will be expanded to accommodate all the athletes that use it. Even though the fly solo room is at max capacity, Davis would like to have more athletes and teams to be able to work with him.

Davis said, “I really hope that we are able to expand the weight room because the amount of people we help is growing, so it makes sense that our facilities would grow as well, I have seen contractors around, so I’m very hopeful that it will be expanded,” Doan said. “Just because it’s crowded kids are still going to lift, you just have to get used to all the people in there and you just have to keep working hard.”