Sports news in brief

National:

This past Sunday, the San Francisco 49ers faced off against the Carolina Panthers. With pretty well matched records, 49ers 14-4 and the Panthers 12-5, this game was set to be one of the most difficult of the season. The 49ers came out strong and ready to play, scoring a touchdown in the first quarter. Even though the Panthers had home field advantage, they weren’t able to capitalize on any opportunities to put points on the board. The next quarter the Panthers fared a little better, scoring a touchdown and punting for a field goal, slowly closing in on the lead that the 49ers had opened in the first. The 49ers scored a touchdown in the 2nd as well, making the score 13-10 49er’s. The 3rd quarter would be the most important quarter of the game, the opportunity for the Panthers to tie it with a mere field goal, or the 49ers to continue to hold their lead throughout, and that’s exactly what happened. The 49ers were able to score a touchdown, making the score 20-10 49ers, the Panthers needed only 10 points to come back. That’s not what happened though; the 49ers continued to expand their lead, by scoring another field goal, and the Panthers weren’t able to score anything, making the final score 23-10, 49ers.

Chicago:

The Pro Bowl highlights the top players in the National Football League (NFL). Originally, this annual game was played as a competition between the top players of the American Football League and the National Football Conference. The rules have since changed and now, two former American football players, Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders, have chosen their fantasy picks for this All-Star game. Although the Chicago Bears receiver, Alshon Jeffrey, was originally overlooked when the list of players was distributed, he has received his spot on the team. Calvin Johnson, from the Detroit Lions, recently removed himself from the roster due to an injury which allowed Jeffrey to replace him. Considering his statistics, his spot was well deserved. He has posted 89 catches, 1,421 yards and seven touchdowns this season. He will not be the only Bears player attending the game at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii. Jeffrey will be accompanied by running back, Matt Forte, and wide receiver Brandon Marshall. The official, televised draft will occur on January 22nd to decide the roster for each team.

Local:

As of January 7th, the New Trier Varsity girls basketball team has not lost a game and currently holds a record of 16-0. Along with their undefeated season, they also won the Dundee-Crown’s Charger Classic over winter break, which was noted as their weak point in last year’s season. The girls have entered the second half of their season, and not only have winning on their minds, but improvement as well. The team hopes to create better strategy and improve their focus on the court. Their great success is not only due to the girls’ skills, but the leadership of all six of the senior captains. The chemistry of the team has ultimately allowed them to strive this season. Sophomores, Kathryn Pedi and Jeannie Boehm, can be described as “budding stars” and are players to watch for in the future. Each individual player understands their role on court which has translated to the success of the team this year.