Badminton wins Conference

The New Trier badminton team capped off a successful season at the state tournament at Eastern Illinois University on May 16 and May 17.

Head coach Deborah Ofcky was excited about the talent they had going into this season.

“The youth that we have is refreshing. They really want to learn, they’re very respectful, they work really hard, and that makes us look to a lot of things to come as we grow throughout the season,” she said.

The team showed a lot of growth from the beginning of the season. After starting the season 3-3, New Trier was able to turn it around. Thanks to six singles and three doubles champions, the Trevians captured the Central Suburban League (CSL) title after amassing 72 team points at Saturday’s conference meet.

New Trier singles champions were senior Leah Fessler at fifth, senior Ying Han at sixth, junior Cece Bishop at seventh, senior Molly Fischer at eigth, senior Emma Regnier at ninth and senior Sarah Henzlik at eleventh, while the Trevians doubles champs were Bishop and senior Tristan Peters at first, Han and Fessler at second and Fischer and Regnier at fourth.

The Trevians also got second place singles finishes from junior Julia Siebert at first, junior Elly Kikos at third, and Peters at fourth. Junior Grace Mabie and Kikos picked up a second place finish at fifth doubles.

This was Ofcky’s eigth CSL title in 12 twelve seasons. Sectionals proved to be a tougher test for New Trier, where the Trevians lost to Maine West in both singles and doubles. Siebert would finish second in singles to advance to state along with senior Madelaine Murray, who finished second. The doubles team of Bishop and Peters also qualified for state.

By winning the CSL, the four top players in singles and doubles earned trips to the state tournament. Ofcky concluded in an interview with CSL Insider, “Getting [to state] is the icing on the cake for us this year especially with so many new kids not having been [at sectionals] before.”