Timely hitting, pitching, propels Trevs over Prospect

New Trier baseball continued their hot start to the season at Prospect, Apr. 18, coming away with a 7-2 win and moving to 8-3-1 on the season.
It was a combination of four pitchers, small ball, and good base running that propelled the Trevians over the host Knights.
It was a 2-1 game heading into the sixth inning, when the Trevians rallied for 5 runs on their way to a decisive victory. The team, laden with sophomores, juniors, and seniors, showed good poise as the game remained close.
“We were a pretty relaxed group throughout the day,” said senior catcher Eric Hoffman. “I think that really helped our performance.”
Although the bats came alive late for the Trevians, the pitching was lights out all game. Senior and Northwestern commit Danny Katz got the start and the win, giving up just 2 hits and 0 earned runs.
Senior pitchers Ryan Haak, Billy Cremin, and Andrew Earvolino shut the door on the Knights, combining for 3 innings of relief, striking out 6, and allowing just one run.
“It was a game where everyone really contributed,” added Hoffman. “There were several times throughout the game where we strung together a bunch of hits to really propel us ahead in the game.”
Hoffman’s view was echoed by his teammates.
“Every player contributed in one way or another, it was a team effort,” said sophomore infielder Kevin Donahue.
New Trier stole a run in the top of the second inning, when senior first baseman Matt Boscow stole home after a pickoff. They added a second run when junior Ryan Acri singled home junior Michael Hurley.
Then, the Trevians broke the game wide open in the sixth, sending nine men to the plate and scoring five times on a double and four singles.
“Ryan Acri and Matt Boscow probably had the best games on the offensive side. Acri hit a two out line drive RBI base hit back up the middle to give us the lead and Boscow went 2-4,” said senior outfielder Jake Reynolds, modestly. He went 2-4 with a double to propel the rally in the sixth. Of course the pitching was lights out as well.
“I thought our pitching was especially excellent. Danny Katz started and pitched a solid four innings before giving it over to our relief pitchers,” explained Reynolds.
Katz’s teammates raved about him, and rightfully so. The righty got out of a bases loaded jam in the bottom of the fourth relatively unscathed, allowing just 1 run before buckling down to get a strikeout.
“With Katz on the mound we know that we are going to get a lot of ground balls and easy outs, so our fielders know to focus on making their routine plays,” said Hoffman. “He pitched great, as he always does, which takes a heavy load off of the team when we don’t need to worry about our starting pitcher.”
This team has been clicking so far this season, and will look to do something that has evaded the Trevians for 5 consecutive seasons; an elusive state championship.
“Overall, our team really clicks well together and we’re all really good friends. I really love the determination and will of our team because we’ve won a lot gusty games this year; we’re a strong group who doesn’t give in,” said Reynolds.
.