Kane could face years in prison

Blackhawk’s star player facing rape accusations by unidentified woman

Emma Willcocks, Editor in Chief

FILE - In this June 6, 2015, file photo, Chicago Blackhawks right wing Patrick Kane skates against the Tampa Bay Lightning during the second period in Game 2 of the NHL hockey Stanley Cup Final in Tampa, Fla. The NHL says it is "following developments" of a police investigation involving Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane, Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File)
FILE – In this June 6, 2015, file photo, Chicago Blackhawks right wing Patrick Kane skates against the Tampa Bay Lightning during the second period in Game 2 of the NHL hockey Stanley Cup Final in Tampa, Fla. The NHL says it is “following developments” of a police investigation involving Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane, Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015. (AP Photo/Chris O’Meara, File)

The Chicago Blackhawk’s Patrick Kane is undergoing a criminal investigation, following reports of his alleged rape of a young woman in Buffalo, New York on Aug. 2.
According to news reports, the two met late at a bar Saturday night, and the woman and her friend went home with Kane, after he invited them to a private party at his lakefront home.
The accuser allegedly went into another room and claims that Kane followed her and raped her. She immediately left with her friend and went to the hospital for an examination and a rape kit.
It was later reported that the woman had bite marks on her shoulder and a scratch on her leg, There are no reports about the results of the rape kit.
However, the police department confirmed that they are actively investigating the claims. Kane’s defense attorney, Paul Cambria, is considered one of the best in the nation and has represented DMX, Marilyn Manson, and companies in the adult entertainment industry.
This case affects Kane’s life and career, despite the fact that he has not yet been charged. His likeness was removed from the cover of the upcoming NHL 16 video game, and he will not be used for marketing for EA Sports.
NHL training camps officially open on Sept 17, and if the investigation is still underway, the NHL could suspend Kane indefinitely. However, there is very little information regarding the case, so it is likely that the league will not act yet. Rape investigations can take weeks, months, or even longer to reach a conclusion, so Kane may be playing his 2015-16 season with being charged at any moment a possibility.
Any conviction of a sex crime, even a misdemeanor, would hurt his NHL career, especially because he may not be issued a visa to play games in Canada.
As the right wing for the Blackhawks, Kane is influential, especially in the Chicagoland area. His jersey has frequently been in the top ten most purchased list, according to the Blackhawks website. Many New Trier students are devoted Blackhawks fans and were disappointed by these accusations.
“Well I think everyone’s kinda making a big deal of it, because there’s no evidence of anything yet. He’s a pretty famous guy so they might just be doing this for attention. Obviously if it’s true then it’ll be bad, but he’s innocent until proven guilty,” remarked a hockey player who wished to remain anonymous.
Patrick Kane and his cousin were apprehended in 2009 after assaulting a cab driver and pleaded not guilty to second degree robbery and criminal mischief.
Their ride cost $14.80 and they had given the driver $15. The cab driver didn’t give them their change because he didn’t have the right coins.
Kane and his cousins were let go without charges if they stayed out of trouble for one year.
Whether or not Kane is charged with rape, this incident has shaken the public’s confidence in him and has hurt his image. A junior girl (who wished to remain anonymous) said “That isn’t something that a good role model should be accused of.”