Specific cell phone restrictions irk some

One of the biggest student rights changes we have seen in the past decade has been the use of cell phones in school bathrooms, classrooms, and locker rooms.
Since most mobile phones come equipped with cameras, they put students at risk of exposure and embarrassment.
New Trier, a school that is no stranger to students with cell phones, has been actively creating guidelines for students and their phones in private places throughout the school.
These guidelines date as far back as 2009, where they are listed under the “Procedures for Student Discipline” section in the 2009-2010 student guidebook.
Back then, the guidebook said that cell phones equipped with cameras and other features such as text messaging “pose risks to academic integrity and overall safety.”
After reading on, it says, in bold, that “Use of cell phones and other devices with camera features prohibited in locker rooms and bathrooms at all times, including before and after school.”
Now, in the 2014-2015 student guidebook, the rules are under “Student Use of Mobile Devices” in the “Student Discipline” section. Rule G reads, “Due to camera capabilities, devices are never allowed to be in sight or in use in bathrooms or locker rooms.”
Besides the student guidebooks, these rules are also expressed in the “Student Acknowledgement of School Policies” form, also known as the sheet that you initial and sign at the beginning of every year in advisory that most students choose to ignore.
Under #8b, the section regarding mobile devices, the use of cell phones is mentioned: “I understand that mobile device usage in classrooms is at the discretion of the teacher. Mobile devices must be out of sight while in locker rooms or bathrooms at all times, including before and after school.”
The phrases “be out of sight” and “at all times, including before and after school” are bolded and prominent on the page. All the places that list these rules generally say the same thing.
The school administration is confident that the rules regarding cameras in bathrooms and locker rooms are known well enough amongst students. Assistant Principal for Administrative Services Scott Williams feels that student are well informed of the rules, “Not only do you get a student guidebook, but we also have you initial off on it.”
As far as reminding the students about these rules, Williams feels that this is a possibility, but he also questions how much the school should have to do this.
“How much is enough? Do we have to remind you to not smoke during the school day?” Williams hopes that “the appropriate use of cell phones would become something just as ingrained as that [the smoking rules].”
Principal Denise Dubravec agrees with Williams.
“Ultimately it is up to the student to review the guidebook,” she affirmed. She does feel, however, that the school could be doing a bit more: “We could be helping students understand why they are making these choices.” She thinks that the solution to these problems is to get to truly comprehend the motives of students.
Students, however, may not always feel as informed about these guidelines. Senior Hannah Perl had a run in with these rules last year, when she took a picture of herself in a bathroom mirror to display her pregnancy belly for Human Growth and Development class.
The New Trier News published an article about the pregnancy bellies and used her picture on the front page. Hannah, who was under the impression that a photo was allowed if you are the only one in the bathroom, was shocked when she had to speak to the advisor chair.
“I was really confused because I didn’t know why I was being called down in the first place because I didn’t know I did anything wrong,” Perl explained.
Perl elaborated that the advisor chair was very understanding of her situation.
“I told her I didn’t know about the rule so I just got a warning,” she said. “Then she just explained that it’s against school rules to take pictures in a bathroom or locker room, with or without other people in it.”
Perl also feels that the school could do more to make students and even teachers aware of the rules.
“I think the school should make it really obvious because so many people are unaware of this rule, most teachers don’t even realize,” she concluded.