IGSS seniors bringing TEDx event to New Trier

A unique edition of TedX, which has taken over the likes of such universities as Michigan, Illinois, and California, Berkeley, is coming to New Trier

On Oct 25, seniors Anna Kahler and Cam Schiller will be hosting “Little People’s Big World,” a youth-centric rendition of the popular TedX series.

According to the TED website, TEDx events usually consist of TED Talks videos — or a combination of live presenters and TED Talks videos — that spark deep conversation and connections.

The event, which will be held from from 11:00-1:30 in the McGee Theatre, will feature both high school and adult speakers.

The idea arose from the seniors’ work in the Integrated Global Studies School (IGSS), where students get all of second semester to do a project that has “measurable goals” and a “measurable outcome.”

“Originally, Cam and I were doing something really weird with photoshop, but then Cam went to one of our teachers with the idea of a Ted Talk, and so our teacher [Colby] Vargas suggested doing it for the project,” said Kahler. “So Cam came up to me and said ‘let’s do a Ted Talk.’ It was a really spontaneous idea.”

Schiller said, “It was super spontaneous. I saw her, and it felt like I was running through a field of daisies meeting her and telling her this awesome idea, and that’s followed us into this year.” The theme centers on the youth and what it’s capable of achieving, according to Schiller.

Speakers for this program range from a professional neuroscientist who studies the brain of youths and decision making to some of New Trier’s own innovative students.
There are currently four high school students slated to speak, along with a mix of college students and professionals.

Senior Jack Levin, who serves as the current president of Student Alliance, will be talking about economic inequality and how citizens living in wealthy areas should be better informed about the inequality throughout the country.

“My goal for listeners is to walk away with a better understanding of the largest issue facing our generation,” said Levin. “In a few years we’ll all be voting and I hope to help inform upcoming voters.”

Kahler and Schiller have dealt with numerous obstacles in the planning process. According to Schiller, securing the theatre, confirming the date, and getting the content approved has required months of preparation — and the work is far from over.

“It was a disaster. There’s just so much. We’re actually forming a TED Committee that’s meeting Wednesdays after school. We still have a lot to do, so we’re just trying to get some help, because we’re in crunch time,” said Schiller.

Loopholes aside, both Kahler and Schiller are excited for the event and the opportunity to bring TED’s mission (which, according to its website, is to spread ideas and seek a deeper understanding of the world) to New Trier.

“We want people to have a new respect for our generation,” said Kahler. “We’re very passionate about the fact that the youth is powerful, and that we can get things done. It’s just a celebration of young people, and the older people who help us to be great.”

According to Schiller, “Little People’s Big World” will be a success if audience members are motivated by what they see and hear.

“We want people to feel inspired,” said Schiller. “We want them to walk out and feel like they can go do something.”