New Trier state of mind

Our high school has its own atmosphere. And while easily apparent to newcomers, the effects of New Trier are often lost on its own students.

It took a trip to Northwestern University (NU) for me to realize this.

Over the weekend, I visited a few of my friends who recently moved into their NU dorms. As I walked into Chapin, one of the university’s many residential colleges, I was immediately struck with the welcoming feel of the place.

Seven people introduced themselves as I entered the building. I mentioned that I wasn’t living in Chapin, but was just stopping by.

What I got was an invitation to Six Flags. John, a freshman, went so far as to ask if I needed to borrow a Wildcat Card to take the shuttle with them. I said no (I have a driving curfew), so they showed me Aziz Ansari’s standup comedy show until they had to leave.

I was surprised; I hadn’t experienced anything like that at New Trier. These students were so friendly, I felt embarrassed that I had walked in with my “New Trier face” on.

What was I doing?

My friend later confided in me that the group was normally even more welcoming, but they had been thrown off by my demeanor.

This is when I came to the realization that I didn’t come off as friendly as I thought I did. It wasn’t my approachability that was an issue, demonstrated by the two times I was asked for directions on my short walk to the hall, but rather the initial vibe I gave when put into the new situation.

It took me a moment to let down my guard, and to allow myself to be myself. Even then, I struggled to define formality and politeness, without coming off too cold.
Once I had left, I wondered why I had acted so—in my mind—poorly.

Then it hit me. Trevians aren’t meaner than anyone else; we just have a different style.
We’re more like New Yorkers than the fuzzy Wildcats I had met.

You learn as a sophomore that in order not to get walked on in hallways by the untouchable upperclassmen, you need to exude a level of confidence and certainty in the direction you’re traveling.

Many develop this trait by putting on a serious face, keeping eyes locked dead ahead, and by asserting his/her space in the hall through variations on walking and speed.
Not everyone does this, but I believe quite a few do. Walk down a New Trier hallway and you’ll see what I mean.

Take notice not of how many people are laughing with friends, but how many individuals walk by with a smile.

Everyone is comfortable with their friends; it is a rare few that openly smile upon a stranger. That’s just the way we are.

Warmth is not an adjective one would use to describe New Trier during passing periods, though it is apparent when observing close-knit groups within the school.
New Trier is a welcoming place, and walking through its halls during a 5 minute passing period is not how our school should be judged.

In this sense, my glimpse to Northwestern’s dorm was skewed. These students were having their orientation week; they had already gotten through the college process, and were simply excited to finally be there.

We Trevians are in a pressure-packed environment.

Trying to get the best grades we can to go to the best school we can get into; writing god knows how many essays; working with college counselors, teachers, and our advisors to complete our applications; and attempting to maintain our grades and extracurricular activities on top of it all: New Trier students are busy.

There’s stresses at every school, and I bet that the NU students will be more busy when November quarter finals come round—and maybe a little less bubbly to newcomers.

Even so, an effort to create a more welcoming school is never wasted.

Walk down the halls knowing that your classmates are also stressed out, and that a smile in their direction can’t hurt. Reassure yourself that even the smallest show of kindness goes a long way.

Our school is defined by rigorous academics, stellar extracurricular programs and nationally competitive sports. Let our positive attitude also define us.
It’s as easy as smiling.