Flag football power rankings

Flag football power rankings

New Trier’s flag football league traditionally takes a backseat to Night League in terms of popularity among students, but what it lacks in participation, it makes up for in competitiveness.
Through four weeks of the 2014 season, let’s take a look at the elite of the elite.
1. Captain Hammes – Led by senior gun-slinger David Hammes, this team is coming off a season-defining win over Raybans. Emotions ran high in a matchup of title contenders, but a momentum-changing pick 6 from senior Lucas Stone set the tone for the rest of the game. Look for a deep playoff run from captain PK Kelley’s top-ranked squad.
2. Weisman 4 Heisman- Despite a questionable team name (Iowa Hawkeyes RB Mark Weisman has just about no chance at the Heisman), captain Jack Koltin leads a battle-tested group. Perhaps all Michael Roeser needed was a change of scenery; the senior quarterback has settled nicely into his role with his new team. We are unable to provide exact statistics, but if you want them, ask Roeser himself– he keeps them.
3. Deep Threat – Junior quarterback Michael Hurley has made his presence known so far this season. Since bursting onto the scene as a sophomore, Hurley has taken the league by storm. His dual-threat capabilities anchor a roster with high expectations for the postseason.
4. Raybans – The previous loss to Captain Hammes set Raybans back a bit, but morale remains high on a veteran squad led by two-year starter Jake Reynolds. Seniors Tommy Wellington and Dante Chakravorti form an imposing tandem for opposing cornerbacks; jump balls are common to each of the (at least) 6’0” wideouts. You can’t teach height.
5. French Slayers – This sophomore squad is a true dark horse, as they look to threaten the royalty of the league. Joe Akason and Jack French power a potent offense that has caused problems for defenses thus far. They have had a bit of a revolving door at quarterback, but Teddy McGregor is a consistent wide receiver who can spread out any defense.
6. Loyola Girls Soccer – Senior quarterback Nick Rettino plays with a chip on his shoulder; fans have compared his style of play to that of Notre Dame football legend Jimmy Clausen. LGS has put up respectable results despite a very difficult schedule through four weeks, but it hopes to prevent a repeat of (the real) Loyola hockey’s past two playoff performances.