New Trier’s latest sexting scandal

12 boys between the ages of 15 and 16 have been charged with distribution of harmful material to a minor in relation to the trading of nude photos amongst New Trier students.

Due to ongoing school and police investigations, in addition to the involvement of minors, information is limited as to how the scandal began and what ensued.

In the weeks since administrators discovered the inappropriate photographs, both the Winnetka Police Department (WPD) and the Administration have sent out press releases regarding the incident.

The WPD stated: “The Winnetka Police Department has initiated a criminal investigation after being notified by New Trier High School officials following the discovery of inappropriate material being transmitted via electronic means.”

In a letter to New Trier families, superintendent Linda Yonke said, “New Trier administrators recently discovered that some students have taken, sent, or received inappropriate photos of other students or of themselves and were in possession of those photos during school hours.”

The official statement read that, “Out of respect for student privacy and due to the police investigation, we cannot share any other details. New Trier staff has contacted the parents of students who have been interviewed.”

In the third sexting scandal in four years, New Trier administration has found themselves in another rough patch surrounding sexting and electronics.

Since the 2012 sexting scandal, an investigation which led to the arrests of six minor offenders, the school has incorporated internet safety into the health curriculum.

WPD Deputy Chief Joe Pellus, a proponent of New Trier’s incorporation of internet safety to the health curriculum, said at the time of the 2012 investigation, “A friend today that has a photo of you may not be your friend tomorrow.”

The 2012 investigation was also handled by the New Trier Township Peer Jury system, as opposed to juvenile court. However, since the trial went through the Peer Jury system, those who were charged maintained a clean record.

“If a kid is not sent to juvenile court and is sent to Peer Jury, it’s considered an informal part of the station adjustment process and kids don’t end up with a record as long as they get their sentence done,” said Brian Leverenz, the creator of the Peer Jury system. “If they don’t, then the peer jury has the authority to send them back to the police department and then send them to juvenile court.”

It remains to be seen if the WPD will take similar steps in this case. In addition, the investigation has made parents more aware in explaining the dangers of sexting to their children.

“That’s one of the issues we talked about before school started,” said New Trier parent Sarah Lam in an interview with Fox News Chicago. “We wanted to tell him don’t, even if people share pictures with you or things, that you know what is right or wrong.”

“Kids don’t always realize they’ve let the community down and they’ve often let their parents down,” said Leverenz, who encourages offenders to write letters of apology to those affected. “The parents are typically the ones who are most upset. Having the kid write an apology letter to their parents, that’s powerful.”