The holiday season is losing its luster

Before Thanksgiving had even passed, stores like target were selling holiday decorations, and Christmas themed commercials already appeared T.V., and radio stations were playing let it snow before temperatures had even fallen below freezing.
For many, these seasonal benchmarks simply feed their anticipation and excitement for the upcoming holiday season. In reality, this boost in artificial holiday cheer is replacing the traditional season with a more commercialized one.
At their most basic level, Christmas, Hanukkah, and all other holidays which occur at this time of the year are simply holy days where those celebrating are intended to spend time praying and celebrating their faith.
These days are meant to be spent with family and loved ones. Traditions such having a large dinner with family or visiting older relatives are very common.
Nowhere in the definition of these holidays is there a mention of shopping for discounted gifts on the night after thanksgiving or listening to holiday themed music two months before the actual holiday occurs. Children no longer look forward to the holiday because they are excited to take a break from school and spend time with family. Now, the main focus is on what Santa is going to bring them and how many presents they get to open.
Many of the newly invented traditions, such as Black Friday, are nothing more than strategies created by businesses looking to gain revenue during the holiday season. They are aware that shoppers often times will do anything for a deal around the holidays. These increasingly ridiculous ploys are now beginning to interfere with the actual holidays themselves.
To get an edge on competition, stores are opening their doors as early as 5 AM on Thanksgiving Day to attract shoppers looking for deals.
Instead of enjoying a Thanksgiving dinner or watching football with family, Americans are spending their evenings preparing for another holiday, which is about a month away. Instead of celebrating the holiday the way it is meant to be celebrated, we ruin the day by rushing into Christmas.
Similarly, large movie companies are intentionally releasing films on Christmas Day. Going to see these movies, especially the ones directed more towards families, has become a tradition in many households. Although families are technically spending time together by going out to watch a movie together, in reality, they are really just going to spend two to three hours seated next to each other, not interacting at all.
Even with the increase in instore sales, those who consider holiday shopping to be a holiday tradition are seeing changes. Cyber monday, which falls on the first monday after Thanksgiving, is gaining traction. Businesses have sales that are often only available online.
It’s hard to ignore the convience of online shopping, but when buyers are spending more time shopping online, they are eliminating this annual tradition. There is not much that can be done to stop the redundant television commercials from showing; however, individually, we can retain our traditions by reminding ourselves that the holidays are really about relaxing and spending time with our family.
As long as we keep these values in mind, we can continue to fully enjoy the holidays without the endless need for gifts and discounts.