Ten questions with the ladies of GirlUp

Michael Blickstein, Features Editor

1. What caused the inception of GirlUp?

Celia Buckman: Lily [Zirlin] started the process during her sophomore year. We actually started meeting last year. Lily thought of the idea while she was scrolling through Instagram, saw a GirlUp post and realized that New Trier needed a club like that. I started when I became a teen advisor for the international initiative around the same time.

Ellie Kalman: I got involved through Lily. She pitched me the idea and I loved it. I told her that I could do whatever she needed.

2. Can you explain GirlUp?

CB: GirlUp is an organization formed by the UN and it gives us the foundation to help girls our age in developing countries. It’s run through UNICEF and we help raise funds and awareness for girls in developing countries. GirlUp is currently working with girls in Ethiopia, Guatemala, Liberia and India, but is looking to expand in the future.

3. What do you do during meetings?

EK: We usually plan how we’re going to raise funds and debrief about student response.

CB: We learn about GirlUp initiatives by screening movies about the areas we’re trying to help, and we also talk about executing projects for fundraising and awareness.

4. How have you seen GirlUp affect New Trier?

EK: I’ve seen it raise awareness for important issues [HIV and AIDS prevention, reducing child marriage] and I think it’s made New Trier students take these issues more seriously. We live in an affluent community and that this can help us raise important funds needed to make a difference in the lives of girls who need it most.

CB: I don’t think people here understand the implications of a girl going to school in a developing country. I think it’s important for New Trier students to understand that when a girl goes to school [in a developing country] she’s more likely to educate her own children and [by extension] stop the spread of HIV and AIDS and prevent child marriage.

5. What’s the mission statement for GirlUp?

CB: To provide equal opportunity for girls worldwide.

6.What initiatives has GirlUp started around New Trier?

CB: We’re staring awareness projects and planning this big tea party type event to bring some speakers and fund raisers together for GirlUp.

7.What has the general response been about the club?

EK: The fact that there hasn’t been a big backlash means that people generally accept it and that’s the best we could ask for. Acceptance is on the path to involvement.

CB: I don’t think people were at first aware of the issues, but as soon as they find out, they get super passionate about finding solutions.

8. What do you like about GirlUp’s mission?

EK: I like that I know exactly where the funds are going. I know that the funds are going to organizations that help the healthcare and safety of girls. When you educate women, she will reinvest 90% of her income to help other people (girlup.org).

9.What are GirlUp’s plans for the future?

CB: I’m only a junior, but most of our leadership is seniors. We’re trying to bring some of the younger members up to leadership right now.

10.What else should we know about GirlUp?

EK: Educating a woman will increase her income by 25%. She is also less likely to marry early or contract HIV, and she is more likely to have educated children.

CB: We’re also hosting a screening of “He Named Me Malala” on March 31st in the Epicenter periods four, five and six. The movie is about a Pakistani activist [Malala Yousafzi].