Keep calm and eat chocolate

“I can’t wait for finals,” said no one ever. Well, whether you like it or not, the dreaded week is just around the corner. So queue the stress, procrastination and tears.

Personally, I hate finals with a burning passion. Maybe if they were before break I wouldn’t freak out about them as much, but no, they have to be after winter break. Over break, many people don’t even think about school, and some save the homework teachers so rudely give until 9 p.m. on the last day of vacation.

But little by little, I have started to realize that finals really are not that big of a deal. Don’t get me wrong though. Finals are important and should be taken seriously (to a certain degree), but they are not worth getting all worked up over–trust me.

On the other hand, I know from experience that it is probably not a wise idea to just “wing it.” (I also may have sort of done that at the end of my junior year. It did not turn out super awesomely.)

Want to know how to do well on your finals? I’ve got two words for you, and read this part very carefully: organization and relaxation.

I know, I know, how on earth do “relaxation” and “exams” go together? Let me give you a little secret: if you just take a deep breath and focus you will remember more than if you sit there hyperventilating.

When you freak out, your mind tends to go blank. Then you worry even more and now you’re sweating and nothing you learned over the semester is coming to mind.

Part of this relaxation process applies to the amount of time spent studying. Here’s another inside secret for you: over-studying does exist. Some may think the more they study, the higher the grade they will receive. When people do this, however, they fry their brains. Your noggin can only take so much, so try not to kill it prior to taking an hour and a half-long test.

If you refuse to believe that, I have evidence that you absolutely need breaks while studying.

According to About.com, “Your brain can only take so much hard work at one time. For every hour that you study, take about 5 minutes to do something mindless, like taking a walk, listening to music or playing a computer game. (You can even take a 15-minute nap, if you’re confident you can wake yourself up at the end of it.) It’ll keep your stress level down and give your brain a chance to let all that information sink in.”

Use those 15 minutes wisely. Taking a power nap, listening to music, or even catching up on a TV show you missed are all wise ideas. But partying all night, pulling all-nighters, wasting most of the day by sleeping until dinner is down right stupid. The last time I checked, alcohol will not help you retain information–sorry to burst any bubbles.

Some may use that break time to eat (why not, right?). If you do want a snack or are feeling down because you have to study while your parents and younger siblings go out to the movies, try foods that boost moods.

They may not be everyone’s favorite, but Brussels sprouts, spinach and asparagus are all foods that promote the production of norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine–the “happy” chemicals in your brain.  If you can’t stand the thought of eating those foods, try oranges and papayas. Like the green vegetables, they help release those “happy” chemicals. A bonus effect of these fruits is that they stimulate your “wake up” senses—so they’re good foods to add to your breakfasts during finals week.

However, if you are allergic to those fruits (like me) and you are craving something sweet, then chocolate is the key. This personal favorite will boost your mood and your energy, especially dark chocolate. While the taste is on the bitter side, it’s good for your heart.

Besides eating well and relaxing, believe in yourself. You know more than you think; and if you prepare sufficiently and take a chill pill, you will make it. Frankly, after the first exam (or exam day), the week is not so bad.

Whether this is your first final or your last, we will get through this together. The best feeling is after your last exam when you walk out and you are done.

Good luck. Go study, and eat plenty of chocolate.