Slow down and enjoy the journey

As I sat down to write this on Sunday, it was hard for me to think about the future and second semester of my senior year. Normally, after first semester finals are completed, seniors begin to catch the dreaded “Senioritis.” And after accepting an offer to the university of my dreams last Thursday, I should be pretty darn happy. But since that email I received from my pastor early Saturday morning about the death of my church friend, Sarah McCausland, my mind has been clouded.

It has been extremely difficult to wrap my head around what just happened—around the fact that Sarah will not be physically here anymore. She was this bright, bright light that shone on everyone she came in to contact with, and she lived life to its fullest. So if there is one lesson I am taking from this, it’s to live life. Have fun, enjoy yourself, and be you.

I think that everyone could benefit from this reminder. But I especially believe that the seniors could get the most out of it right now.

Seniors, we finally made it to second semester of our last year as high school students, and I can hardly believe it is here already. I remember when my senior helpers told my advisery, “Enjoy your time here at New Trier because each year is going to get faster and faster. Then, it will be your senior year.” I did not believe them until I found myself telling my freshman girls’ advisery the exact same thing.

For many of us, our futures are starting to take shape as we decide on a university, apply for summer jobs and even plan for Senior Project (for those participating). It’s a little bit nuts to think that in a few months we will be scattered to the wind, at universities across the country and perhaps around the world.

But I shouldn’t get ahead of myself. We still have an entire semester left here at ol’ New Trier.

Tomorrow, for instance, is Turnabout. Obviously, New Trier students deserve a break from the stress of school, but please don’t do anything stupid—like drink and drive.

On a lighter note, Winter Carnival is approaching and that means lots of food, games and tons of tiny (mostly adorable) children. I know that many of you are a little annoyed that we have to work at the carnival, but I am actually pretty excited. To sell hot dogs and ice cream in the Peso Gym. Maybe it’s because this event represents being a senior and I thought it would have taken longer to get here.

And once we are all rested and tanned from Spring Break, the infamous “Senior Sacks” hit the backs of seniors. This is a chance for seniors to really live life. Senior Sacks allow students to express themselves; and in a way, this is their last chance to be their inner kid with a Yoda or stuffed animal backpack before going off to college.

I know that many of the seniors, myself included, are antsy to be done with high school. And it is justified. We have worked hard during these four years and we deserve to have a little fun with the last few months at New Trier to celebrate the effort we have put in. But it will be over sooner that I think we want it to be. The next thing we know, we will be packed into the Welsh-Ryan Arena and then ringing in some great years together with the sunrise on the beach wearing the sweatshirts of our future schools.  So now that finals are over and universities are being decided upon, live life to the fullest. If you don’t, you will have to live with regrets from your high school time—and no one wants to have those. And while I will continue to mourn Sarah’s death, I know she lived her life the way she wanted to. Sarah is a perfect reminder for everyone: make life your own because only then will you truly be living it to the fullest.