Letter to the Editor

In IGSS, students work on a project for the entire second semester. We can do whatever we want as long as it can be completed in a semester. I pursued my interests in computer science and decided to bring the Hour of Code to as many kids as possible.

Tens of millions of people throughout the world have gone to the Honor of Code website and tried the hundreds of tutorials that introduce computer science. Young students can really benefit from computer science, and Hour of Code teaches it in an engaging way that feels like playing games. Students will learn to solve problems in many different ways, and to find the most efficient paths.

If they are really interested, then they can expand their skills, and perhaps even get a job in this field that has low unemployment, high starting salaries, and relatively high job security.

My first trip was to Albany Park on the north side of Chicago. I brought three laptops and worked with three kids in fifth grade. We set up a table in a loud gym with kids doing other activities right next to them. It was the worst place to try to get kids to play games and puzzles that require concentration.

But after I told them about computer science, yelling over all the noise, and brought out the laptops with touchscreens, they were hooked. For about forty-five minutes and with minimal guidance, they worked diligently. I could tell they were very interested.

Not stopping there, I traveled to Evanston and Roger’s Park with social service clubs and went back to complete a total of five trips. When all was said and done, I had worked on iPads and laptops with a total of twenty kids on the north side of Chicago. One girl in Evanston got all her friends to try and said “computer science is fun.” Two other kids told me that they want to be computer programmers when they’re older. Some of these kids come from rough backgrounds, facing challenges in their life that make it harder for them to succeed. But if they are truly interested, they can use computer science for a better future.