Visiting schools provides a better sense of home

Camille Baer, Opinion Editor

I can understand why teachers are often frustrated by the fact that the bulk of their senior students are missing school for visiting colleges. Most seniors think it will help them get into their dream school.
While it may seem foolish to think that simply going on a school tour will be the cherry to “seal the admission deal,” I believe it helps to classify the student’s interest in their school of choice.
Aside from the logistical aspect of visiting schools, it’s important to visit as many colleges you’re interested in as possible.
You’ll never know how you truly feel about a school until you have the chance to walk around the campus and experience what it has to offer.
I’m not advocating skipping a bunch of school, trust me, but I am encouraging the opportunity to explore and learn what you like and what you don’t about each school you visit or apply to.
Visiting universities not only puts you on their radar; it also allows you to figure out what you appreciate most in a school.
Perhaps these nuances might tip you towards one school over another, but you’d never know that until you’ve actually spent time on the campus.
You can always read about a college on their website, or you can listen to a representative speak about all its “amazing and inspirational qualities to help you prosper and thrive”—(we’ve all heard this same spiel before), or you can have an interview with a liaison to learn more about the specifications of the school.
However, none adresss the most important fact, and that’s whether you see yourself living on that campus for four years. With such a huge life decision, you want to make sure you’ve made one that suits your best interests at heart.
It’s easy to love a school on paper—amazing academics, ideal population of undergrads, plenty of fun activities constantly occurring (or whatever else you value in a school)—but without ever visiting, you’ll never experience that feeling.
This infamous feeling, or “aha” moment, is hard to explain, but upon arrival, you know deep down it’s where you’re meant to be (I’m assuming it’s similar to realizing trig functions are no longer jibberish).
You’ll never know whether there’s a school out there that better fits your personality.
The most important part is knowing that you love, and belong, to the school you’re going to attend.
After all, this place will become your home, and you want to feel comfortable and relaxed on the campus.
No PowerPoint, brochure, or alumni interview can offer the same experience that visiting the campus is able to achieve.
You have to be able to figure it out on your own, and it starts with a visit.