Hazing policies at NT

In the New Trier Guidebook, hazing is defined as harassing, intimidating conduct, or bullying, whether verbal, physical, or visual, that affects the tangible benefits of education, that unreasonably interferes with a student’s educational performance, or that creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive educational environment.
New Trier policy also states that no school club or sports team can meet officially without the presence of a coach or club sponsor. While met with disdain from some students, it is widely accepted that this is done to prevent a possible hazing or initiation situation, especially in light of notable recent hazing incidents at high schools across the country.
Sayreville High School, in Sayreville, New Jersey launched an investigation in October into hazing incidents that resulted in the cancellation of its 2014 football season. Also, in October of 2012, six members of the boys soccer team at Maine West High School in Des Plaines, IL, were charged with misdemeanor and battery because of hazing.
Each year New Trier emphasizes its zero tolerance policy for hazing. According to athletic director Randy Oberembt, administration meets with coaches, athletes, and families of athletes annually and seasonally, in addition to distributing the Extracurricular Code and student handbook that contains the official hazing policy.
“The reality is that any activity in which new members of a program, or new members of a team, are welcomed, should be under the scrutiny of the coaching staff,” said Oberembt.
This policy has proven effective for Scott Fricke, boys basketball coach and Tri-Ship sponsor, who claimed to have “never heard of or dealt with a hazing incident at New Trier.”
“It’s important to remember that we, meaning the coaching staff, educators, and also team members, have a responsibility to protect the social, emotional, and physical safety of everybody in the program,” said Oberembt. “And clearly, if you’re going to have an activity that welcomes students, it has to meet those standards, and if it fails to meet one of them, then it should not be conducted.”
Fricke said, “I feel it is important to talk about expectations at the beginning of the season/year. It is important in both my classrooms and on my teams students are treating each other with courtesy and respect. Both sports and clubs have code of conduct rules that are explained to the students.”
While New Trier has a set code on the hazing policy, some sports, such as swimming, have more specific rules. New Trier Swim Club (NTSC) has its own code of conduct, including rules on hazing. Consequences for sports such as swimming can be more severe and more specific on what is considered hazing.
For all New Trier sports, however, the approach towards “initiation” remains constant. Common activities in past years such as “kidnapping” new teammates and “TP-ing” houses are no longer allowed.
“Initiation is not a word that’s acceptable,” said Oberembt. “Words are powerful. What we’ve gone to is the use of the word ‘welcoming.’ Our coaches are obligated to understand the nature of the activity.
While these are harmful acts, many times it is out of the hands of New Trier. Still, today many teams will playfully ‘kidnap’ underclass- men to school or different initiation, but with the rule that no team can meet without a coach or sponsor, many New Trier teams have stopped doing these playful activities in fear of getting in trouble with the New Trier Administration.