New Trier Green gets redemption from last year’s Quad Header loss

New Trier Green hockey defeated Loyola Gold 3-1 at the annual Quad Header on Nov. 22.
Senior Graham Soman scored during the first period, giving New Trier a 1-0 lead early. Half way through the second period Loyola scored to tie the game at one and the score stayed there for the rest of the game
Senior Ryan Pettersen scored New Trier’s game winner with just over 20 seconds left to give NTG the lead.
Both senior Captain Matt Boscow and Senior Jared Merens agreed that Pettsrsen’s goal was the turning point in the game.
Senior Ben Laukkanen solidified the win for NTG during the third period, when he intercepted a pass from a Loyola defender in the Loyola zone. He scored an empty netter stretching the lead to 3-1.
Boscow said, “The most crucial moment of the game had to be when Petty scored the game winner off the Loyola goalie’s head.” Merens added that, “killing their 5 on 3 power play in the third period when the game was still tied 1-1 was huge.”
“We were able to kill of some penalties that put us in vulnerable positions at times, which gave us an opportunity to stay in the game,” said Boscow.
Senior goalie and alternate captain Jack Junge also agreed that Pettersen’s goal was a game changer. “As the third period was winding down, I was preparing myself for a shootout,” Junge exlpained.. “Once Ryan scored I was so shocked and excited that I jumped into the bench to celebrate.”
The annual Quad Header, held at the Winnetka Ice Arena, is a highlight event for New Trier. fans and students alike. Four club New Trier hockey teams play four club Loyola hockey teams. Fans pack the stands and surround the glass.
Boscow explained that the exciting atmosphere in the rink played a large role in the team’s performance.
“The crowd was nuts. The rink was full before we even got out there for warm-ups, so having our fans screaming for us right from the beginning got us even more hyped up,” he said.
Merens, however, offered a different perspective. “It’s hard to play with a crowd. Nerves come into play, and the game tends to become less skill based and more focused on emotion,” offered Merens.
Head Coach Bob Melton agreed with Merens, and he added that the crowd makes the game difficult to coach.
“The crowd makes for a great atmosphere; however, the players are very nervous during that game and most times play very uncharacteristically. Lots of crazy things usually happen,” he explained.
Persistence, according to Melton, earned New Trier their second goal, late in the third period.
“Loyola has a very good goalie. We needed to keep putting pucks on net and eventually one went in,” said Melton.
NTG lost to Golf at last year’s Quad. The biggest difference was definitely experience. With 18 returning players, Green knew what to expect at the Quad this time around.
Melton believes the biggest difference between this year and last year was actually Loyola’s team. “Loyola’s team last year was much stronger than this year’s team. They had our number last year. This was a nice revenge game for Green,” explained Melton.
New Trier changed their attitudes between the second and third period by taking more shots and picking up their play during the third. Finally, their shots paid off with Johan’s goal.
Melton said he told the all senior team after the second period, “’this is your last Home Quad Header.’ You will remember this win for a long time. Now go out and take it.”