Live from New Trier, it’s Stephanie Reedy

Tia Rotolo, Features Editor

Stephanie Reedy, a junior, began her acting career in third grade. Eight years later, she’s blocking, writing and directing her own sketch comedies.

At New Trier, Stephanie Reedy is known for performing in Lagniappe Potpourri and in-house improv groups like NQA and Harold and Maude.

Libby Markham, fellow Lagniappe cast member, remembers Reedy as an enthusiastic leader. Markham said, “She’s so dedicated to everything that she does.”

Outside of school, Reedy works with the Actor’s Training Center in Wilmette, where she got her start in third grade. The Actor’s Training Center works on honing and improving young actors and actresses through improv, acting and musical theatre.

Reedy’s main teacher and coach is ATC Director, Carole Dibo. Dibo has been working with Reedy for many years as an actress. “Stephanie’s an actor’s actor. She’s very open to all Media and totally a team player. She loves making others look good,” Dibo said.

Although Reedy’s career began with acting in school plays, it has quickly progressed into sketch comedy.

“At the same time I started acting, I was also doing improv,” Reedy said, “From there, improv just transitioned into sketch comedy.” Sketch comedy is a series of skits, ranging anywhere from twenty seconds to three minutes.

Reedy said performing in sketch comedy is slightly different than traditional acting.

“Sketch comedy is a lot more witty,” Reedy said. “You’re playing for a joke. Acting typically has lasting themes and isn’t always funny.” Not only does Reedy perform in the sketches, she writes and directs them.“I prefer to co-write. It’s easier to work with others,” Reedy said.

That love for working with other minds stems from the simple fact that she struggles with always finding inspiration. “I normally just take things that happen to me in real life and exaggerate them,” Reedy said.

Weeks prior to the shows are solely for preparation and writing. “We typically only do one rehearsal on the stage. We add in props later. It’s a very fastpaced, yet relaxed,” Reedy said.

As a student, most of her work lies in assignments. She is usually given a two week period to complete the script for her sketch comedy. “Normally we write a rough draft and then shape it with our team to make it better,” Reedy said. “It’s a group effort in the end. We’re constantly changing and improving certain aspects.”

Her directing process is the same. “We’re working as a team to make it the best it can be,” Reedy said. “We’re shaping something to make people laugh. It’s fun,” Reedy said.

Their sketch comedy and improv group has gone on to perform at esteemed venues such as the Improv Olympics in Chicago.

The Improv Olympics rivals Second City in improv comedy, a venue where comedians like Amy Poehler performed at the start of their career.

Reedy said she’ll never forget the experience of working with professionals at Improv Olympics in Chicago.

“It felt like you were really doing it with people who are actively performing,” Reedy said. “I prefer having an audience that’s going for fun and because they wanted to, instead of just going because they’re related to you.”

While Reedy loves working with her troupe, she also valued the experience of working with other kids at Second City workshops. “They teach us a lot about building stories and relationships,” Reedy said.