Vine shut down due to Twitter’s financial issues

People will no longer be able to post videos on the popular app

Tia Rotolo, Features Editor

The once popular social media app, Vine, has “died.”

The makers of Vine sold their six-second-video social media platform to Twitter back in 2012, prior to its launch.

Twitter would become the parent company to Vine starting with its release in 2013. Since then, Twitter has started to decline financially.

Some aspects of the social media platform had to go. Vine was just collateral damage in Twitter’s instability.

On Oct. 27, Vine announced that it would be discontinuing the mobile app. The changes weren’t given an exact date as Vine wanted to give users time to download and access their videos one last time.

The online website will remain for viewing purposes, but the ability to make vines will be lost along with the mobile app.

Senior Tom Ratts was sad when the news of Vine came out, but realized that the app was already on it’s way out.

“I used to watch this user, Evan Breen. His content has gotten worse because he’s not solely on Vine anymore,” he said. “I’ve felt a complete loss of connection because I’m now limited in my expressive means.”

Like Ratts, Vine users were saddened. They took to their six-second videos to release messages of thanks for their fans and expressing their sadness that the platform will be coming to an end.

It was a sad night for Vine. Even users who had long forgotten the app had returned for a final goodbye, thanking Vine for all it’s done for them.

Sophomore Connor Rooney expressed his disappointment about Vine ending. “I’m really sad because I used it every day,” he said. “It’s hilarious. Me and my friends would use it to share videos with one another that made us laugh.”

Vine hit its height soon after it’s release. As intended, users were making six-second videos of what was happening in their lives, similar to Instagram, but with videos.

With the introduction of “revining”  (reposting) videos, Vine became even more popular. Users were becoming “Vine-famous” with nearly millions of followers. Vine had become a central hub for jokes and trends.

Junior Ethan Hughes used the app mainly to revine videos.

“I think I made one vine,” he said. “I mostly revined, but I didn’t really use it after freshman year because it took up too much of my time.”

After a few years, the app shifted from its original purpose. Users were now using the platform to create more cinematic vines, compiling many videos and then syncing them to music in a “loop.”

The humorous videos were still there, but there was an uprising from the artists on the app that used it as another medium for creation.

Senior Ben Silberman often made vines of his friends, using the community to find new music. “Vine just made me more motivated to get out there and film things that I love,” he said. “Plus seeing my friend’s reactions to the videos was priceless.”

But Vine’s ending doesn’t sadden everyone. Sophomore Terrence Zapf believed the app to be nearly useless.

“Society will probably be better off without Vine. People used it for bad things and it was a real time waster,” he said.

Some students never even downloaded Vine like Senior Virginia Owens.

“I had no interest in seeing other people try to make videos,” she said. “I already had Snapchat and Instagram so I was too lazy to find another form of social media.”

The death of Vine has left users yearning for another form of social media. While some students feel lost in a sea of App-consumerism, others remain hopeful.

“I’m not that sad about Vine ending because there will be something in the near future to replace it,” Hughes said.