Drug detecting nail polish sparks controversy

More than just fashion, nail polish can now detect some date rape drugs

Hannah Young, News Editor

Every 107 seconds, sexual assault occurs in the U.S. One in three sexual assaults involve some type of intoxication, whether by alcohol or other drugs, according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN).

While assault is prevalent on college campuses, many experts believe the problem is escalating, bringing a need for additional prevention measures for people of all ages.

Kinetic Wellness and Health Teacher Jennifer Tricoli said, “Most high school kids think that it’s not going to happen to them, especially in this community. Until it hits home, it just needs to be reiterated that it happens all the time.”

In August 2014, four college undergraduates at North Carolina State University created a nail polish specifically meant to detect unsolicited or date rape drugs. Their brand, Undercover Colors, was built to change colors when it identifies some of the most common drugs like Rohypnol and Xanax.

There has been a lot of controversy over whether these detectors are harmful or beneficial to the epidemic.

“I am weary of saying everyone needs to wear or use the detectors because it puts all the blame on the victim,” junior Allison Thabit said. “If you don’t put on the nail polish, suddenly it’s your fault that you were taken advantage of.”

Many believe it creates a culture in which the onus is on the victims for essentially leaving themselves vulnerable to rape.

However, Tricoli only sees the potential benefit: “By being proactive about your health, you are protecting yourself. The more you can do to feel empowered, the better. Otherwise, you become a victim. We need to do what we can to protect ourselves as women.”

Senior Grace Murphy agreed, “I think that it’s horrible that we have to protect ourselves against drugs by hiding little detectors in our nail polish, but it is a real problem and I think that it’s a good way to give yourself some control.”

In addition to the nail polish, the Personal Drink ID coasters, straws and cups have been created to find a solution. Typically, they are fabricated to detect Rohypnol, Xanax, GHB and Ketamine.

Yet, with every solution comes another problem. There is a constant influx of new drugs that can’t be detected by these devices. Ambien, a new and easily accessible drug meant for treating insomnia, has become one of the newest methods for date rape.

At high dosages, the drug can create effects like that of drunkenness and cause unconsciousness. Similar prescription drugs such as Zolpidem are used, leaving no trace in the body’s internal fluids.

According to a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 9.3% of the female victims surveyed have experienced drug-facilitated rape in their lifetime. Even so, it doesn’t take into account the 68% of women who don’t report sexual assault to the police.

Tricoli explained that students who have been sexually assaulted often question whether or not what happened to them needs to be reported at all. Many people convince themselves that they either misinterpreted the situation or were to blame for letting it occur.

“We just have to talk about it more normally because if we don’t, people think it doesn’t happen and then don’t report it,” Tricoli said.

According to RAINN, four out of five rapes are committed by someone the victim previously knew, whether it be an acquaintance or their boyfriend/girlfriend.

Junior Matt Shapiro said, “You are only going to feel the need to use these devices if you don’t know the person or you don’t trust them. A close friend could just as easily drug you.”

While these innovative prevention methods could result in fewer sexual assaults, many fail to address the real issue at hand: the culprits.

“I’m not sure these detectors should be used more than just people need to stop drugging their dates,” Thabit said.

Since people have yet to find a way to stop sexual assault offenders, any way to protect oneself is crucial in saving lives.

“Women have to treat their bodies to the best of their abilities,” Tricoli said, “no matter if it’s about nutrition or physical health or whatever it is. This is the only body that you have.”