“The Counselor” could use some counsel

What happened in this movie? I asked myself as I walked out of the theater, I had no idea. The main character, who is referred to as Counselor (Michael Fassbender), or The Counselor the whole movie, is a wealthy lawyer who is in love with a nice woman, Laura (Penelope Cruz). He proposes to her and immediately after, he asks his friend Reiner to be a part of a drug deal because he needs money.

Reiner is a weird guy; he is in love with a smart, shifty woman, Malinka (Cameron Diaz). She comes across as a very interesting character that would not be wise to cross. To put it simply, Malinka has done everything, which can be observed in the movie. The Counselor goes to Reiner’s house and then what appears to be the next day, he goes to see Westray (Brad Pitt) at a bar. Here, they discuss the details of the drug deal.

There are many layers of the movie. In the beginning, it is really hard to see where it is going because there are many different scenes and characters keep getting introduced. A ways into the movie, The Counselor is at a jail with a woman Rosie Perez. Here, she tells the counselor that her son has been arrested and she needs The Counselor to get him out. After this, you see the importance of the son and how he causes other things to happen.

Throughout the movie, there are snippets of scenes that contain the drugs. The drugs are taken from Mexico to Chicago in a septic truck. The drivers keep changing and in the whole movie, it is very confusing who is in control of the drugs and why the drivers keep changing.

To sum the whole movie up in a word I would say: confusing. There were too many plot layers and scenes within the movie that I found very confusing and irrelevant. There was a fairly lengthy scene between The Counselor and a man who sells diamonds. This was in it because he was going to propose to Laura, but the scene could have been shorter, and overall I felt like it was irrelevant.

The whole first part of the movie seemed irrelevant. The movie could have been started half way through and it would have made more sense. The characters were not fully developed I thought. There was too much attention spent on little details and extra scenes, so I did not have a good grasp on the characters or their jobs. Because of this, it was also kind of hard to see who was important to the story line. Many characters were brought in throughout the movie, and I constantly found myself asking who is that, and, why are they important?

There was also a lot of Spanish that was spoken. I do not speak Spanish at all, so sub titles would have been helpful.

There was also an unexpected amount of gore, so, if you are not a fan of blood, or headless people, I would not recommend seeing this movie.